Safari - Could pages load any slower?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nerd, Dec 22, 2004.

1. nerd macrumors member

May 15, 2004
    (I'm sure I've seen this discussed, but I can't find the thread.)

It's seems like Safari has a bug and it's driving me insane. I'm using 1.2.4 (v125.12) with the 10.3.7 update and it's taking all day for pages to load. The "blue bar" will get to about 90% and just hang out there for about 30 seconds. The crazy part is, if I click the "X" to cancel the load, the page shows up...and it seems to all be there.

I think this just started after the most recent software update. Is anyone else experiencing this?
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    yes, i've been experiencing the same thing, for quite a while. probably before the 10.3.7 update.

it may have something to do with Safari's caching. i don't know. i'd like to find out what this is all about as well...
  3. Frisco macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    I have experiences the same thing but way before the 10.3.7 update. You may want to clean your cache and safari book mark icons etc using OnyX
  4. senseibiz macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Same here, it stared between the last 2 updates. Now its driving me nuts...
  5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Geez I agree with you... Don't get me started on how there are SO MANY great OS X browsers, but none can do everything right.

Firefox is lightning fast, but its OS X integration is poor, but its load of extensions and themes are great; poor with flash.

Camino is almost as fast as firefox, integrated with OS X, slow with GMAIL, not very attractively themed.

Safari loads quicker than the two afforementioned. It chokes with GMAIL, often not even working. Its page loading can be fast with some pages or TERRIBLE with others.

Omniweb insists on having tabs on the side... not optimal for those with 1024x768 screens. Also, Omniweb is really slow and costs money (okay i admit it... redeeming features are tough to find with this one).

In any case, for those of you with G4s or even better, G5s, there are some optimized special builds of Firefox floating around. I've found these optimized builds to be the best compromise between speed, customization, and OS X integration. I'd love for Safari to just inherit the Gecko engine though... that'd be great... or for Camino to speed itself up to par with Firefox and have as many customization options...

Sorry about the long rant... I just feel silly with 3 web browsers in my dock. Shouldn't one be able to handle EVERY "web" task!?! I guess the reality is that competition is great... and hopefully within 6 months or so, all of the browsers will have matured enough that they're ALL great.
  6. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i know there's lots of choices available on OS X as far as browsers go... i used to use Chimera (now Camino) and have tried Firefox. but i just stick with Safari because i love it's features.

it would be nice to have Safari do everything - but i realise this isn't possible, so instead i'd just like it to work properly like it used to. well - good news!! :D i've fixed my Safari!! grab your self a copy of OnyX if you're having Safari slowdown, and use it to clean out the Safari cache, history etc. that's all i did, and after a couple of reboots, everything is loading lightning fast again. :D

i would say that Safari's over zealous caching has something to do with the problems... before the "OnyX treatment" i saw that i had 2.5GB free on my boot volume. now after restarts and using OnyX to clear Safari cache i have 3.2GB free. :eek: 700MB for Safari's cache? now i can understand the slowness...

just don't use any of OnyX "Expose" features