Safari CPU usage? Would Tiger solve my problems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by California, Aug 27, 2005.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I'm still on Panther 10.3.9.

How come Safari is hogging up all my CPU useage and slowing down my new 1.33 14" iBook, (1.25gb ram, stock 4200rpm 60gig hd)?

Is eBay a CPU hog or something?

Is AOL a CPU hog, too? What is up with those sites? I pay AOL a nominal fee to keep my email address and logging on to their site is as slow as if I were on a 1994 145b powerbook (my first pb).

Driving me crazy. also, I forgot my admin password and now everytime I go on Safari, it asks me for my keychain log in. Also bugging me! Anyone know anything about all this?

Geez, it even asked me for my keychain login just now as I submitted this thread!!!! I have an unopened box of Tiger. Would Tiger solve my problems?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Tiger probably won't make much of a difference for your Safari speed woes, Webkit is pretty much the same as the latest in 10.3.9 :( Try another browser.

3. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Running 10.4.2 and Safari 2.0 with 5 tabs open (2 MR's tabs, Aol, eBay, and Google):

MR search max CPU: 18%
    Aol search max CPU: 59%
    eBay search max CPU: 62%
    Google search max CPU: 13.5%

The numbers were provided by using the same search term in each of the search functions, the term being "selmer". I typed the search term, clicked enter and then quickly clicked on Activity Monitor and recorded the results.
    My TiPB in my sig was the machine used for the test.

Not too sure about the keychain thing, but i sometimes had a similar problem with that under 10.2.x.

Maybe if you run my above mentioned "test" you can do a comparison.

Hope this helps.

4. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Okay. That's what i thought -- Tiger is not the real answer. Oh, well.

Faintember -- how's your 1gig tibook running on 512k? What size hd do you have? I'd like to get one to max out at 1gig ram/60gig 7200rpm hd. And thanks for the numbers. My CPU use on eBay was up to 58% on the 1.33 ibook. Weird.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like when there are certain banners up, Safari tends to spike in the processor area. I haven't really tested this theory, just keeping an eye open via MenuMeters. Further highly unscientific testing reveals the problem to occur with highly animated, graphic-intensive banners (shoot 10 spaceships and get a PS3 for free after you sign up for 3 credit cards, a CD of the month club, and refer 8 of your friends to do same).

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Yeah, i didnt think Tiger would help, but some real-world numbers might just help us make an comparison.

It is running fine on 512mb for normal things, but i need more ram for my music applications that i use. I bought 2 X 512mb sticks from OWC, which turned out to both be bad, then the replacements they sent me were bad as well, so they refunded me my money. Next i will be trying Data Memory Systems, as CanadaRAM recommends them highly if you are in the US.

I also bought a new HD (my stock HD was 60gigs), lol. I just got the Hitachi HK100, 100gb 5600 rpm 8mb buffer and it seems to be great, but it is running in an external enclosure now. It will be going internal soon, just haven't had the time (or went to buy the Torx screwdriver) to do the job yet, and besides, i want to test out the new HD as a boot drive via the FW enclosure before i tear my PB apart. Most everyone seems to notice a decent speed diff b/t the stock drive and a 5600 rpm. The 7200 rpm drives are too expensive for me right now. I would rather save a few dollars and get more storage space and a 5600 drive at a decent price than get the fastest thing out there. I hear that the iBooks are much harder to swap HDs in than the TiPB (which is fairly easy!).

7. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Listen Faintember, if I can swap out a Tibook harddrive, YOU can. Very easy. Just go slow and easy with the hd cable and get the right s.driver. Also I've had great luck with Kingston (never ValueRam). Also, Samsung which supplies to Apple. Ebay it. You will notice a significant speed burst with the 5400 drive; when i went from stock to 5400 Hitachi 40 gig on my 400 ! mhz tibook, it was very very noticable.

Sounds like a good set up on your Ti; I'll let you know if my deal works out. BTW, how often do your fans turn on with the Ti? There's an extra fan in the 800 867 and 1 gig Ti and I've never had one.

8. darkwing macrumors 65816

Your problem is flash. The flash player for mac sucks. It usually spins the cpu 100% when a safari window with flash is active. Stinks really, because a windows machine will play it smoother and use no time at all.

9. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Good to know. It looks simple and i have found numerous walk-throughs on the internet about the HD replacement. Seems easy. I just need to make sure the new HD is working properly before i do the swap. My PB is used way too often to have a HD problem arise!
    Good as well. Too bad i do not trust ebay for anything. Call me old fashioned, but i dont do ebay.
    Good to know as well, especially coming from a TiPB owner!
    It does not come on at all hardly when i am surfing/using Mail/iTunes etc., and that is with it sitting in my lap. When i have Max/MSP running the fans typically turn on very quickly, but that is because most of my patches in there use 30%-80% of my CPU at any given time! I even have a couple of patches that i have written that use %100 of my CPU, and thus, have to be ran on the schools PM G5, and they still use 30%-50% of the PM's CPU!

Jeez, we are so far off topic that the light from being on topic won't reach us for at least 100 light years!

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Try using Camino instead of Safari. That's what I do on my G3 and it works great, as it eats so much less of the CPU.