Safari crash happy after update to 10.4.7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacFan25863, Jul 7, 2006.

1. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Last night, I upgraded from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7. As soon as I restarted and launched Safari, it began crashing ALL the time (most often when there is a form on the page I am trying to view). I tried reparing permissions and that didn't do anything, do I tried a disk repair. It found a problem but said it couldn't fix it, so I booted from the OS X install disk an ran disk utility from there. Once I did that, Safari began acting more stable, but now it is back to crashing all the time.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
    Sean

PS: I'm on a Powerbook G4 (1.33 GHz and 512 MB of RAM)

2. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

This hasn't happened to me, I've had a couple of Safari crashes since I updated to 10.4.7. But nothing like that.

Any particular sites that crash safari, ones with .wmv seem to be less stable for me. How often does it crash?

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Try downloading the Mac OS X 10.4.7 combo updater (I think that is what it is called- it contains more than just Mac OS 10.4.7 on it). I read that doing this sometimes is the next step if you have problems updating Mac OS in MacAddict Magazine. :)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you had to repair your disk then make sure you keep repairing it until it makes no changes. In other words, you should have repaired it at least twice. :)

6. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I did...it shows up with no errors now, as does the permissions check.

I ran the Combo Updater for 10.4.7, but it didn't seem to make a change. It's been crashing on seemingly every site, from google to myspace to here.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, try resetting it from the Safari menu then. :)

8. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Did that too...I also tried to trash the plist file, but I couldn't find one through the Spotlight or manually searching through the Finder...

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you moved Safari from the Applications folder? Does it behave normally in other user accounts? :)

10. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Safari has been crashing a lot for me too. It was so bad the other day that I had to switch to FireFox. It seems to be working fine for now. I did a repair of permissions and ran MacJanitor. I also sent about 3-4 reports to Apple.

11. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Safari is still in the Applications folder, and it is like that on all the user accounts on my system.

I'll try running MacJanitor. Thanks for the tip.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well tell us how that goes. In the meantime, do you have any plug ins or add ons installed for Safari? :)

13. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

MacJanitor didn't do anything. I have PithHelmet installed, but I haven't seen any other people running it who are having this problem...

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There may still be an incompatibility with PithHelmet and another third party app so maybe uninstall it for a while to see if your problems stop. :)

15. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I'm getting this error message when I try to launch Safari:

Safari 2.0.4 (v419.3) has not been tested with the plugin (null) (null) (v0.6). As a precaution, it has not been loaded. Please contact the plugin developer for further information.

Any idea on what that could be? PithHelmet is completely off my system. Safari seems to be running now, though. Thanks for the help!

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

go to your ~Library/Internet Plugins folder and see whats there

Or click on the help menu>Installed plugins

17. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Ive had much more Safari specific beachballing since the update. Its a daily event now. Ah well.

18. oober_freak macrumors regular

I posted this in another thread but I didn't get a reply, so I am posting it here..

Safari crashes a LOT here. When I open more than 4-5 tabs, it gets un-responsive and eventually crashes. I have only one plugin that I installed myself(Inquisitor).

Here is the crash log: http://techlogy.net/safaricrash.rtf

19. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Older PithHelmet put a folder in User > Library > InputManagers called SIMBL, which could be causing the problem. I moved mine to my desktop and haven't had any problems in the last week

20. trebor31 macrumors newbie

Its "Acid Search" Plug in - it has not been updated for the latest version of Safari yet. Delete it, and its preferences and this will go away.

However, this alone did not solve the Safari craching problems for me....I know it sounds odd but delete the Stickies prefs file:
    "com.apple.Stickies.plist"
    yeah, I know it seems totally random, but it sometimes works!
    Hope that helps!
    Tre