safari crashes a few times a day

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swingerofbirch, Nov 23, 2006.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Hi Everybody!

Well here's the situation, safari crashes a few times a day. it seems to happen mostly when i have several browsers open, some tabs, and sometimes when it's opening a pdf...but could it really be that i am overloading it? i mean i have a C2D iMac with 1 gb ram!!!!!!!!!

I keep reporting the issue to apple when that option comes up, if I copy and paste some of the text of it here, could anyone decipher it?

Thanks a bunch!

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I had a similar problem when I got my first Intel Mac. I dealt with AppleCare for well over a week until they finally agreed to a return on the machine. I would try and reinstall Safari first, to see if that takes care of the problem. Also, have you put in any new RAM or any upgrades yourself recently?

3. Daysleeper1982 macrumors newbie

Daysleeper1982

Is your Safari version up to date?
    Like Livingfortoday said: probably reinstalling works.

And this does not really solve your problem, but consider using Firefox or Camino.

4. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I'll try the re-install tomorrow....but nope, no new RAM or upgrades....

I had already tried resetting Safari, etc......does Safari crash regularly for anyone else?

I mean, I won't worry about it meaning that there's something wrong with my computer if it's commonly known that Safari crashes.....

To the poster who said that you had your Mac replaced, did they determine it was hardware related? Did you reinstall the OS and it still happened?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, my Safari barely ever crashes.

*Waits for Safari to crash*

Okay, maybe open a new user account in System Preferences and use Safari from there for a little while. Do you still have the crashing problems? :)

6. Daysleeper1982 macrumors newbie

Daysleeper1982

For me, Safari only crashed 2 times I tried to play a game online. My collegues had the same problem with that website in Safari, so it was the website that was wrong. Normally, I never have problems with Safari. For some sites I use Firefox or Camino. I am used to switching between these 3 now.

7. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

i have the same problem, safari crashes quite often in my macbook CD
    at the time of my switch, i was enthusiast with safari but it disappointed me, too many crashes, it loads partially pages with too many pictures and tab browsing just suck
    i returned to my old favorite: opera

8. zipper1022 macrumors regular

yea idk why my safari tend to "quit unexpextedly" maybe 3 or 4 times a day

its not that fequent but its really anoygin when im watchign something or readin somethign and then suddenly its gone. and its usally gone form my history when i restart the program...

9. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

How do you reinstall??? Or do you need to reload the entire Apple OS?
    My problem is that on pages that Autoloads, liek CBS Live Football Scores for Fantasy Leagues it has now quit. I am wondering if the new security updates have given it issues? Thanks!!

Bill Sends...:mad:

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can reinstall it individually from the OSX discs, but you might need Pacifist to extract it. Having said that, I'd try resetting it from the Safari menu first and if that doesn't work, then try deleting the preference file (com.apple.Safari.plist) in the Preferences folder. :)

11. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I just reinstalled safari using pacifist, now I'm stuck on 2.0.3 - I'm download 10.4.8 update to see if I can update it manually... :confused: