Safari Crashing for Both iOS and Mac Users, Fixes Identified [Update: Fixed]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 27, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Safari users are today reporting an odd issue causing Apple's web browser app to crash on both Macs and iOS devices. Several Mac users are also not receiving autocomplete suggestions when entering text into Safari's address bar, with many pages including sites like Google failing to load completely. For many iPhone and iPad users, simply tapping on the URL bar causes Safari to crash.

URL searches, autocomplete, Top Sites and other Safari features rely on queries being sent to and returned by Apple's servers, suggesting this is where the problem lies. The issue also seems to depend on what data the browser most recently cached.

The current fix for iOS and Mac involves disabling Safari Suggestions, which stops the app from crashing to the home screen. On your iOS device, go into Settings, tap Safari, and toggle off the "Safari Suggestions" switch. On your Mac, the same setting is found in Safari -> Preferences -> Search.

[​IMG]

Alternatively, opening a Private Browsing window also appears to solve the issue.

The problem appears to be affecting users around the world and will likely be resolved when Apple corrects the service on their end.

Update: According to BuzzFeed, Apple has now fixed the issue that was causing the Safari browser to crash on iOS and Macs due to issues with Safari Suggestions.

Article Link: Safari Crashing for Both iOS and Mac Users, Fixes Identified [Update: Fixed]

2. farewelwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

3. MightyTrojan, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

MightyTrojan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

......I thought my iMac got a virus or something. It's been not working for a few hours already. Search bar non responsive and typing did not even appear on search bar.

Attached Files:

• aaa.jpeg
      File size:
      486.7 KB
      Views:
  4. ecallaghan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

ecallaghan

This was driving me nuts all day - I hadn't realised I had performed an update - and if not, then how does this happen?

5. yeah
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

yeah

Strange issue. Private browsing does fix this issue, though. :D

6. gijoeinla
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Yes this is true. I can only use Safari on my mac by using New Private Window option. Oddly, if I open the regular Safari window, I get only the apple.com address, twice, see the attached photo... I cannot input anything into the normal Safari browser. Chrome and Firefox are working though. Clearly a Safari only problem. Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 3.13.18 AM.png

7. masands
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

8. craig1410
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

craig1410

I wonder if this is actually a problem with Google search autocomplete because I'm not experiencing the problem and I use duckduckgo which has its own autocomplete. Obviously still a bug in Safari but perhaps triggered by Google.

9. japanime
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

japanime

10. Oblivious.Robot, Jan 27, 2016

Oblivious.Robot
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Oblivious.Robot

Didn't know there was an issue! All devices are working fine on my end, even with safari suggestion on.

But it's good to have a workaround just in case, hope they fix soon.

11. Adithya007
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

After doing this, Safari will be snappier. At last.

12. BulkSlash
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

BulkSlash

The latest El Capitan beta (10.11.4 Beta 2) has some bad Safari issues too. New tabs don't open properly, sometimes overlapping the original tab and the search/URL bar displays "Search or enter website name" twice. It's also not possible to switch tabs.

I suspect another beta update will be out soon... until then it's back to Firefox.

13. iWillNotUpgrade, Jan 27, 2016

iWillNotUpgrade
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

iWillNotUpgrade

Experiencing this as well right now. Additionally, tab switching doesn't seem to work and new tabs don't even show up in the tab bar.

14. masands
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Check your Siri usage in battery stats. Mine has gone through the roofs...

15. RosOne
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Using DuckDuckGo too, Safari works fine on all my devices

16. Blujelly
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Didn't have a problem at all until I saw it on Sky News tried it and I had the same problem, clicked on the URL app crashed.

Done it 5 out of 20 times, I also started to hold down on the URL which the brings up the paste and search option, to which I clicked on the URL box and it seemed to work for me.

17. iapplelove
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor

iapplelove

My mac crashed a few weeks ago, but it was before the latest update.

It's been fine since then.

18. tab.84
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I spoke to Apple support this morning, as i thought i had an issue with my Mac
    The simple advise was to go and turn off "Include Search Engine Suggestions" within Safari preferences.

They are aware of the issue and and looking at a fix

The adviser told me to give it 12 hours and try switching it on again.

19. Macneck
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Macneck

Good to know! I first experienced the issue today and automatically wondered if Apple was trying ways to 'suggest' users to upgrade to iOS 9.2.1.

20. kaostheory777
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

kaostheory777

Grrrr - i've spent the last 2 hours thinking my Safari was broken, deleting .plist files - reseting - fixing permissions etc. Oh well at least I stopped short of a full reinstall. Fingers crossed this is fixed by tomorrow. I don't like using Chrome :(

21. Snowy_River
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Seeing this problem as well. It was driving me a little nuts on my iPad. Had to switch to iCab to get here to find out what the problem was...

22. profets
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

I have google as the search provider Safari on all of my devices. Can't replicate the issue on several Macs or iOS devices. Strange, I wonder what the cause of it is and how it's only affecting some devices.

23. ecallaghan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

ecallaghan

This has been driving me nuts all morning!!!
    Yup - ditto!

24. arn
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Apple's servers aren't responding correctly. And apparently Safari isn't reacting gracefully to that failure.

arn

25. solidsn2004
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I went through the same procedures and I was about to do a clean install when I decided to check the forum! Thank god I did ;)