Safari crashing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lpshean, Nov 7, 2005.

1. lpshean macrumors regular

lpshean

Since updating to 10.4.3, Safari keeps crashing on me when i load too many windows and tabs. Any reason why? The beachball keeps spinning and then it crashes.

Itssa gettin on muh nerves. :mad:

I will usually have a few other apps running as well, eg. word, limewire, preview.. etc. But i havent experienced this many crashes of Safari before updating!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mine's been fine and I usually give it quite a workout. Try resetting it (Safari menu) and if that doesn't help, delete the preference file named com.apple.Safari.plist while Safari is closed. :)

3. lpshean thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

Where can i access this playlist file? Hope it works! Will try resetting it first the next time it crashes.

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Spotlight, dude.

10.4.3? Spotlight is really handy for this kind of thing. Give it a shot.

Anyone know what "Reset Safari..." does? Is that an admission that Safari is a poo-poo browser?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Check this out. :)

6. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

mine feels a bit quicker to be honest.

...that so didn't help:(

7. lpshean thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

Nopes. It crashed twice on me, and each time i had previously reset Safari. Plus i had deleted the com.apple.safari.plist thing, which made it worse! My previous crash was only due to a 3 open tabs and one small window loading a quicktime movie!! It seems like the crashes are when a particular tab or window is loading something large causing the spinning beachball, then POOF. Crash.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Note that in order for your update to 10.4.3 to work properly, you must repair permissions right after the install has finished, and restart your computer.

Have you done that?

9. lpshean thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

I have restarted but not repaired my permissions yet! Lets hope that this nagging problem goes away.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hopefully the permissions repair will help.

By the way, never delete preference files if the app in question is still running. You probably already know this but I'm just making it clear. :)

11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

One last thing: Many users have reported problems when doing the Delta update. If the problem persists, do the combo update on top of the 10.4.3 update.

I have done this after having problems with the update from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2.