Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I was having trouble with Safari quitting unexpectedly in 10.3, but since installing Tiger it won't work period. When I open it, it just immediately quits. Even when it's not open, when I have Dashboard open for example, I'll get a pop-up that says Safari has unexpectedly quit. Any ideas what the problem is?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
swindmill said:
I was having trouble with Safari quitting unexpectedly in 10.3, but since installing Tiger it won't work period. When I open it, it just immediately quits. Even when it's not open, when I have Dashboard open for example, I'll get a pop-up that says Safari has unexpectedly quit. Any ideas what the problem is?

How did you upgrade? Did you have AcidSearch, PithHelmet, SAFT, or any other Safari plugins before Tiger? And if so, did you upgrade them to Tiger compliant versions / uninstall them before upgrading to Tiger?

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I did the upgrade install. I had safari speed and safari enhancer installed, and I did not upgrade them before installing Tiger. I did just now delete them, but Safari still won't open.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
swindmill said:
I did the upgrade install. I had safari speed and safari enhancer installed, and I did not upgrade them before installing Tiger. I did just now delete them, but Safari still won't open.

Hmmm...frustrating! :(

If you're sure you got rid of everything that came with the plugins, try these two steps:

1) Look in ~/library/application support/ for a SIMBL folder. If it exists, trash it. Ditto for /library/application support/ -- if there is a SIMBL folder there, trash it.

2) Try deleting com.apple.safari.plist from ~/Library/Preferences/

EDIT: Do what Yellow suggested first. :)

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Here's the top of the Problem report that is sent to Apple:

Date/Time: 2005-05-07 22:49:18.822 -0400
OS Version: 10.4 (Build 8A428)
Report Version: 3

Command: Safari
Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
Parent: WindowServer [63]

Version: 2.0 (412)
Build Version: 1
Project Name: WebBrowser
Source Version: 4120000

PID: 750
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000001

I can paste more if needed, but it was extremely long and I didn't want to post more than needed. I looked for the specified folder in Library and didn't see it. I haven't yet tried trashing the plist though.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I've trashed the plists, and also tried a few things suggested by Apple on their website. Still, all I get when I click on the Safari icon is a quick flash of Safari on the menu bar, and then the "unexpectedly quit" window. Is there any place I can find the installer for 2.0 and reinstall? Apple only seems to have the installer for 1.xx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.