Safari does not open websites

Discussion in 'macOS' started by i-sidd, Feb 4, 2007.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi guys, for some reason I love safari and thats why I have not downloaded any other browse. However, there are a couple of websites which I belive have pictures/images or something and it just shows a small blue question mark and you cannot do anything on that webpage. The second problem that I saw was when I visted Samsung website and tried to view a demo for a TV in 3d flash. This is what it looks like with the message. I downloaded the Media player pluin or whatever its called but still the page did not work. Its very frustrating. Can any one recommend anything for these problems with safari.

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67573&stc=1&d=1170606186

Attached Files:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's nothing to do with Safari. You appear to need so very dodgy sounding non-standard media player plugin. This may well not be available for the Mac...

3. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Surprisingly, the Viewpoint Media Player does appear to be available for OS X:

http://www.viewpoint.com/technologies/viewpoint-media-player.shtml#system-requirements

To the OP: Can you provide us with a link to the page you were trying to view on the Samsung site?

4. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/PlasmaTV/HPS5073XXAA.asp
    I hope this link works and when you click on 3D/flash view a small button below the picture it will open another window and that's where the problem is.

Anything why I see a small Blue Box with a Question mark instead of a image on a website. I have checked my preference in safari and Under appearence display images when page opens is selected. I don't know why its happening though.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Did you read our posts? It's happening because Samsung have decided not to use normal images. It's some sort of weird proprietary image/3d thing. You need to install the plugin from the link provided above.

Edit to add: despite being called 3D/Flash view it's nothing to do with Adobe Flash...

6. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I've just downloaded and installed the plug-in, but still no dice with either Safari or Firefox. Even if the plug-in did work, it would have been more user-friendly for Samsung to have used Flash.

i-sidd: Write to Samsung explaining that you're interested in purchasing one of their products, but that you're unable to view full product information on their website because the 3D plug-in doesn't work with Mac OS X, despite a Mac version of the software being available from Viewpoint.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Just checking you restarted your browsers after installing the plugin right? They won't pick up plugins till they are restarted...

8. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did restart safari after I downloaded the plug-in. Anyways I will write to samsung and see what they have to say.

I also had the question mark thing that somes up for me in some websites and its not the samsung website. even if I have a circuit city mail in my inbox and when I open the email some of the images show a small blue box with question mark on it and nothing happens if i click on it. Its with a few websites also with images. How do I get to open these. On a PC I have checke dand its all fine

9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Aye, and logged out and back in again. ;)

Again, please provide us with links so we can take a look ourselves.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are you both on Intel Macs? If so is the plugin Universal? If not try starting Safai under Rosetta and see if that works...

11. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

flash games crash safari

does anybody else have the problem of safari randomly shutting down while playing a flash game - or sometimes seemingly without reason?

12. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Tried that as well, but still no joy. Good call though.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I had an issue a couple of weeks back where every page with Flash on it would cause Safari and Firefox to crash instantly. Upgrading Flash fixed it...