Safari download warning. TURN IT OFF, DAMMIT!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zen, Apr 29, 2005.

1. zen macrumors 65816

zen

Hmm...Tiger rules except...

Safari gives a warning dialog that must be okayed if you download a file which is/contains an application. This is a major annoyance - if I download a dmg, I know what is on it, thank-you very much!

There appears to be no preference for turning it off. Anyone had any luck, or is this for 10.4.1?

Zen

2. slb macrumors 6502

It's a logical security precaution in this day and age. Doesn't bother me. I'm not really downloading DMGs all the time.

3. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    if you change the preferences to not open safe files after downloading you won't get it.

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So, now we complain that Tiger tries to make sure you don't inadvertently launch a trojan. No joy for some.

5. Sleix macrumors member

Well, considering it's what I call the "Stupid Box"...yah, I don't have any joy for it. :rolleyes:

I mean, only a fool wouldn't look or know what he or she is downloading by looking at the obvious webpage information at hand...

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I think they should have at least included a "don't show me this again" checkbox and have an option to turn it on/off in preferences.

At least they made "Continue" the default button!

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I hear you, but think about Joe Average user, that's all I'm saying. Someone launches a trojan by accident and the press is all over it: Mac OS X not as secure ... blah, blah, blah. Better safe than sorry. And, as wrc_fan said, you *can* turn it off; you'll just have to open the d/l yourself.

8. Sleix macrumors member

True...but I still wouldn't mind the automation, still...just add one small option to bypass the "captain obvious" remarks, and I'd be cool with it... :cool:

9. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Yes, but the point of this thread isn't that it shouldn't be on by default, the point is that there should be an option to turn it off.

10. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I agree that it is damn annoying. They should at least give you a warning. All I was trying to do is download an icon!

11. makey macrumors member

Although anoying, browser security is needed these days. I am surprised there is not an option to shut it off though.

12. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Really annoying. Are they trying to be more and more like Windows? Also, all of the system preferences used to be active the moment you changed them, but now some of them require you to hit an "apply" button. What is going on? If they want to take tips from Microsoft, the least they could do is choose some of their scarce good ideas.

13. David Lundgren macrumors member

<<Really annoying. Are they trying to be more and more like Windows?>>

No, they're trying to prevent the Windows experience of applications "sneaking" onto the computer. If Windows did this, spyware, malware and viruses would largely go away. For crying out loud, it's one mouse click.

Also, anyone who doesn't think that someday someone may figure out how to get that first virus onto the Mac, despite the UNIX core, is kidding themselves. All the Mac superiority about no viruses goes out the window the first time that happens, and this has everything to do with preventing it.

Do you want to read Paul Thurrot's column about the Death of the Mac and Windows Reigns Supreme the day after that happens? Not me!

14. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

You all are missing the point.

The point is not "there should be no Warning", it's "there should be a way for the advanced users who know what the hell they're doing to turn it off".

One mouse click is too much. I often download dmg's (for example, AdiumX's beta which updates almost daily) and I click the download and let it go. Some time later, I notice the mounted image on my desktop is all ready to go.

For crying out loud, it's not like it's autolaunching the application here. The user still has to go around and open the application and even THEN, the user will be asked for a password if the trojan intends to honk something up.

A nice checkbox would be welcome. "Thanks, Safari, I know that there's an application in this application that i'm downloading. please don't warn me again"

15. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Just bumping this up to see if, in the week since the last post, any workarounds have been found to kill the warning but still automagically open whatever it is you downloaded.

I have a habit of going on icon rampages about once every two months. I open all my (very well-known and trusted) icon sites in tabs, then go through them, sometimes downloading 200 icon sets in an hour. And when I'm done, I have folders neatly lined up on my desktop with all of the .dmg's and .zip's extracted.

And then there was Tiger. I never imagined an "improvement" would make working on my Mac more cumbersome! I suppose an Automator workflow could be devised, but it really shouldn't be up to us!

Anyway, </rant>. Any of you smart people figured anything out?