Safari Drasticly Slowing after usage...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBunny, Mar 1, 2006.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Ok, I can be browsing fine for a while with multiple pages no problem. But as soon as I start going into sites with pictures :eek: weather it be pr0n or myspace, after say 10 - 15 pages with pictures safari slows to a crawl. The whole app. Just clicking on a link takes forever (not the internet connection time, but the whole app) I cant even click onto a nother tab, it takes seriously 20 seconds to switch. Its like Im getting bogged down from all the pictures. This happend with my iBook too, but I just figured it was the slowness of the computer itself. Now I am thinking safari just sucks in general.

My specs are Core Duo 2Ghz'
    2GB RAM
    256MB x1600
    250GB SATA Drive
    OS 10.4.5

I manully run my scrips once a week, and repair permissions once a week, so I dont know whats goin on? The whole computer is fine, even safari is good except when I bog down safari with alot of content. what gives? is my computer still not powerful enouogh? My 3 year old PC dosent even have this issue?

Finally, Activity monitor usually shows me with 1.3GB of Free memory, but 8 - 10 GB of virtual memory. Why so much? Shouldnt it be the other way around?

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I don't know...

Maybe try "clear history" in the safari options (that'll kill alot of stuff you might want though..but you can always get em' back)

My space is always a slow site...

Maybe try using Camino instead of Safari (google it) or Firefox.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1) try clearing your safari cache
    2) repairing permissions weekly is pointless
    3) remove the Icons folder in ~/Library/Safari/, they can slow you down.
    4) myspace is notorious for being Safari-averse. Try Firefox.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sounds like some (or all) of the sites might have flash contents (ads or features). Flash is not good. I would recommend that you disable plugins in Safari Preferences -> Advanced -> Web Content. And just enable them again when needed.

Also Reset Safari and empty the contents of ~/Library/Safari/Icons every now and then...

5. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

I might just use a diff browser. Myspace is a slow site, but its not the site, Its just there is so much content I have cached i guess the whole app of safari is slow. I can use myspace for a solid hour, and literly my safari will not move. I will close out of myspace and go to another site (cnn.com for example) and safari is still slow until I shut safari completly down, and restart it.

6. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

I did clear the cache and all of that and that works, but I shouldnt have to do that every hour of useage you know? anyway I can increase / decrease the size of my safari cache?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

AFAIK, there's no way to do that. Unfortunately, I don't have an MacTel to test this on, but I can tell you that constant safari use doesn't slow me down on any of my PPCs.

8. coop macrumors member

I'm having the same problem on my intel iMac. I am not surfing too hard, but for example it was taking the MacRumors sit 6 to 10 seconds to load earlier today. I emptied my cache and it is moving better. I can never figure out why some pages open fast and soem are extremely slow. On my old iMac which was running OS 9 and an OS 9 version of Mozilla, I never felt slow surfing the web. I did have some compatibility issues with newer WMF programs.

I keep on hearing Safari described as "snappy", but my emulation Microsoft Office seems to be faster then this. After reading some posts, I wonder if I somehow managed to make my Safari run in Rosetta by mistake. Someone said there was a way to do this, but I don't know how to check it.

9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

It seems like every computer has it's preferred browser. Safari works beautifully on my iBook, but camino and firefox run like garbage. Just try Firefox or Camino and I'm sure one of them will work better for you.

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I think the application "tinkertools" allows you to do this. download it and take a look.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

Safari has always slowed to a crawl for me on my mini after a while of browsing. I have never noticed that it is graphics or images that does it, but that may well be the case. I like to just keep my browser open forever, and that usually is OK with Firefox (it can go for days or weeks with no issue) but Safari slows to a crawl, and usually brings down the rest of the computer with it; clearing cache or resetting Safari will seem to fix it for a while. I upgraded from Panther to Tiger in hopes that this would be fixed, but alas, it seems to be worse. Oh well, back to Firefox.

12. samanthas macrumors regular

I have an intel too and what I did was reset Safari and trash the icons and that helped for like 10 minutes... THEN what I did was just unplug my router for 15 seconds and Safari hasn't slowed like that since and this was like a month ago.

13. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Well i want to give an update. I am now using camino 1.0 UB and the problem is gone. This is a far superior broswer to Safari IMO.

:D

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've noticed that Safari just slows down to something horrible when using it on my iBook. I've tried using other browers, but I always end up going back to Safari for the spell-checking. I love Firefox and think it's much superior and Camino above that, but I can't stand not having spell-check. I'm really anal about spelling and grammar.

But yea, Safari just sucks sometimes. And it's not as compliant as Firefox or Camino.

15. tekmoe macrumors 68000

found this thread thru the search. my safari has also been slow lately. even clearing the cache, deleting cookies, deleting icons, and resetting it altogether hasn't helped much. the fact is, safari just doesn't run all that fast.

i downloaded camino. now i realize what i have been missing out on! go and get it! :D