Safari & Ebay?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jaw04005, Oct 12, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Anyone else experiencing problems when trying to browse Ebay? On the main page, Safari just quits. No idea why. I have tossed preferences, repaired permissions, and reset Safari. Humm... Works fine in Firefox.

2. dsatterfield macrumors newbie

RE: Safari & Ebay?

Hi

I would open Safari, purge the cache, close, delete the preferences, boot from a OSX disk, repair the permissions & repair the disk, and then try. If that fails to fix the problem I would download a fresh copy of safari, use FIND and search for everything Safari, delete everything, then reinstall a fresh copy of Safari.

thanks
    David

3. dreamignition macrumors newbie

Safari & Ebay

When I use Safari on Ebay, it will let me perform one search, then whenever I hit the search button - it will not search...

Has anyone experienced this problem?

4. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I have that problem quite a bit. I also have that problem on The Internet Archive. It seems to be worse since upgraing to the lastest version. I hope Apple know what they are doing...

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

It happens to me too, it's because there is an error while loading, you'll see it in the activity window, or on the bottom of the screen if you have the status bar showing, and then it won't let you do anything, reloading doesn't even help me.

my solution goto www.ebay.ca and then it works.

6. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have that problem all the time too, and not just with eBay.

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I have that problem. I can usually avoid it if I let the page load completely before doing anything.

8. Lau Guest

I don't know about US/Canadian eBay, but on eBay UK there are two search boxes (why?) but I find the one in the top right (sort of a general search) is Safari unfriendly, whereas the the one on the left, further down, nearer the items is usually ok.

(Just looked at ebay.com, and the one on the left on the uk site that works is slightly more central on the US site). Hope that helps!

9. rnizlek macrumors 6502

Never had a problem with eBay or the Internet Archieve.

Running Dual 1.8 G5, 1 GB of RAM, OS 10.3.6 and Safari 1.2.4

10. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Yeah, I've been noticing terrible problems with eBay and safari lately as well. It doesn't quit on my, but hangs up when loading every page, and progressively gets worse. If I open Activity Monitor after searching on eBay for maybe 30 minutes or so, AM shows Safari using almost 100% CPU when it is loading pages, and shows "safari hung" for 5 seconds or so with each page load. Plus, it shows very high memory usage, such as 600+MB of real memory and over a gig of virtual memory. (Both figures continually rise while surfing...) I see tons of beach ball on eBay, but it never jut plain quits, at least not yet.

I'm using a new 1.5ghz powerbook with 2 gigs of RAM, on a high-speed network. Page loads should be instant with a setup like this, to say the least! All this beach ball and slow eBaying makes it feel like I'm using my old 266mhz pentium II to surf the net with a 28.8 modem on a bad day...

(Yes, I've repaied permissions, ran man janitor, cleared the cache, etc...) Restarting Safari helps, but it just gets more and more bogged down with time.

11. Zebragreg macrumors newbie

Firefox works much better than Safari

We were experiencing very slow page loads on Ebay compared to my 2 Windows PCs. The P4 laptop loaded in 2.8 sec, and the Pentium 600 loaded in 3 s. The iMac G4 800 loaded in 15 s and the eMac G4 1000 loaded in 8 s. Internet Explorer on both computers loaded at about the same rates. No improvement.

Firefox really improved both. The iMac G4 loaded in 7-8 s and the eMac loaded in 3 s.

The iMac was being slowed by Virex, whereas the eMac did not have the Virex installed. When I "forced quit" on the Virex, the speed of the iMac improved to about 3.5 s to load (with Firefox).

I would really appreciate help on how to uninstall Virex. I can't seem to stop it.

Greg

12. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

For me, it's just as slow as balls, but sometimes I attribute such occurances to Comcast.

13. ShermDog macrumors regular

I haven't had any speed problems using Safari and eBay, but I've never been able to upload pictures to eBay when auctioning something off. I've always had to de-evolve and use IE.

14. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I used to have to do that......but sometime after 10.3.....? I was able to start using Safari to upload pics to eBay.

15. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

This is what I usually have to do on most websites.

16. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

Safari

Not sure how helpful this is but I visit ebay almost every day using Firefox and have never had a problem. In fact I rarely use Safari, give Firefox a try, its great. :)

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Upgrade to Virex 7.5 (download on Mac.com), then run the VirexUninstall.command file in the disk image distributed with Virex 7.5.