Safari....expectedly quits?!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by elliotay, Jul 1, 2003.

1. elliotay macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2001
    I've been running Safari on my B&W G3 at work fine for over a month. Just recently I've found that I can no longer run it. Every time I start it up I get the "Safari has unexpectedly quit..." error. If i close the webpage and don't let it load safari is fine. It only quits when I try to load a webpage. I've run disk warrior on my computer and repaired my permissions and it still errors. I've thrown away safari and all of it's files and downloaded fresh from and it still errors. I'm stumped. Any thoughts?
  2. scan300 macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Some ideas.

Run Safari and let it crash. Open your console utility and open log ~/library/logs/crashreporter/safari.crash.log ... look for the entry which begins with the time and date of this crash. If you can't get any clues from the log post it and ask for an interpretation.

It could be a corrupted html rendering engine, which is now separate from the Safari app. Someone else may have an idea where this is located.

It could be a corrupted font. Try changing your display fonts in Safari's preferences.
  3. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    it crashes 50 % of the times i have just managed to send an email thru webmail. weird. and annoying.
  4. elliotay thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2001
    This is what the crash log says: It goes on like that up to number 67

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Thread 0 Crashed:
    #0 0x9017fe08 in CFPropertyListCreateFromStream
    #1 0x99064644 in +[NSPropertyListSerialization propertyListFromData:mutabilityOption:format:errorDescription:]
    #2 0x7e394bd0 in -[WebNetscapePluginPackage pListForPath:createFile:]
    #3 0x7e393db0 in -[WebNetscapePluginPackage getPluginInfoFromPLists]
    #4 0x7e394390 in -[WebNetscapePluginPackage initWithPath:]
    #5 0x7e3751c8 in +[WebBasePluginPackage pluginWithPath:]
    #6 0x7e395fe8 in -[WebPluginDatabase init]

It goes on like that up to number 67 saying all sorts of different things like:

#60 0x969dabbc in BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode

I have no idea what any of it means. Does anyone else?
  5. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    this implies something wrong with your preferences for safari. a plist file is a preference file.

These imply an error in your plug-ins, specifically the ones that are netscape compatible. Safari can use IE and NS plug-ins.

I do not know how to fix the plugin problem but to say - trash all safari files and re-install safari.
    As for the first error i mentioned. see if just destroying your preferences file for safari does the trick.

BTW - trashing your preferences file fixes 90% of problems 90% of the time. Most others are then fixxed by trashing your preferences for that application and then immediately restarting.

Also, before destroying files, do a permissions repair. This solves most little problems in OSX. Good luck.