Safari-Firefox Bookmarks... Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soulstorm, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I like safari very mush, but I think it's time to move to Firefox. But the problem is that in Safari I have approx. 100 bookmarks! All categorized into proper locations into the toolbar.

How can I tranfer all my bookmarks in Firefox? When i try this manually, only the links are tranfered, and the names of the bookmars (as have named them) are discarded during transition. So, is there a simple and easy way?

2. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

export the Safria book marks to a file. Apple basicly not letting Firefox import the files it self so you have to do it manually.

Then import the file into firefox.

3. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

How can I do that? How can I export all my bookmarks to a file?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The best way to export (or import) Bookmarks from (to) Safari is using the hidden debug menu.

To enable debug menu you have to write one line into Terminal. (If you do a search it should be mentioned a couple of times her on the forums. I'll do the search myself, but not right now... ;))

Edit: Found it, open Terminal, type this in and press enter:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
    From the debug menu just choose Export Bookmarks... and you'll get a nice readable html file with all your bookmarks. And Firefox loves to import html bookmarks...

5. toontra macrumors 6502

Why not just use Safari Bookmark Exporter (freeware). I did exactly this the other day and it worked superbly - tranfers all files, folders, etc, including bookmark bar files & folders. It supports Firefox and all other browsers.

6. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Thanks about the debug menu. Now, how can I import this HTML file to safari? Sorry for the newbish question, but I don't know how!

7. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

It's ok guys, I managed to do it both ways... I am so relieved..

Thanks!

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Good luck with Firefox, I "switched" in November (rigth after v1.0 was released), and haven't look back a second... (but whenever Safari 2.0 comes out I'll take a good look at it, and who knows...?) :)

Make sure you check out an Extension called Adblock (you find it under Tools), to take care of those most intrusive Flash intensive ads that consumes every bit of processing power your machine can produce... (That's actually the only extension I've installed, I also tried a couple of themes, but soon went back to default...)

9. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You know, I had made a switch pretty much when you did. But I returned to Safari for 2 reasons.

1)Its setup for greek characters is very easy (actually, you don't need any setup to see other languages' characters. It is set up by default)
    2)I have a problem with Safari with my kesington mouse and the scroll wheel. I cannot scroll properly. Even with the slightest touch to the mouse wheel, the screen scrolls too much.

These problems seem to exists even in Firefox 1.0.1, but I will give it a second chance, I like all the themes features and teh extensions and its speed (although not TOO noticeable).

Have you got any info about these problems?

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not really. I know there's a setting in Firefox under Advanced -> Browsing where you can check/uncheck "Smooth Scrooling" but as I only use my trackpad I haven't had any scroll-related problems and therefor not tried this option...
    ...I also suspect that there's an option (in System Preferences under Accesability or Keyboard & Mouse, or maybe it was in Safari?), where you tell the machine how to react to when using the scrollbar...
    ...maybe som of those settings can help in getting your Mac to "understand" what it is your mouse want to do... ;)

Edit: If you want extra speed try the G5 optimized version of Firefox. Should be easy to find here at the forums...

11. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I am using the G5 optimized firefox right now. As for the smooth scrolling... it doesn't help my problem much. But I can keep using it like this, no prob, as long as I find what is wrong about the greek fonts that are not displayed properly in some sites. I mean, I can read them, but they are annoying.