Safari for Windows Updated to 3.0.1

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 14, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

After security concerns about Apple's new Safari Beta for Windows arose earlier this week, Apple has issued an update to Safari for Windows.

According to Macworld, the update addresses a number of security issues:

The new version is available through Apple's software update or downloaded from Apple's site. The Macintosh version of Safari 3 is not vulnerable to these issues.
  2. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Time to run Software Update.

Looks like Apple is on the ball when it comes to closing security holes.
  3. Guest

Jan 30, 2006

Good that they fix it this quickly. Speaks good of Apple.
  4. macrumors demi-god

Jan 3, 2007
    Not only are they very quick with fixing the security holes, but they fix them before they officially release it, unlike M$.
  5. macrumors regular

Oct 1, 2004
    Round the world
    So, did they send out a buggy beta while they had the fixes in the wings just to show the PC world that they can get a fix out within a few days?
    If they did do that, was it worth the bad press for the bugs?
  6. macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2002
    Denver, CO

Releasing an update 3 DAYS after the beta went public...

That is seriously the funniest thing I've heard today.
    Granted, it is early... but still. 3 days.

Then you toss in "the Macintosh version of Safari 3 is not vulnerable to these issues" and it gets even funnier.
  7. macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2007
    So I uninstalled the OSX version for nothin :( When i saw the secuirty issues, i didnt wanna be doing my online banking with the beta.
  8. macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Sep 7, 2006

Release a beta. Reports come back of some issues. Fixed within 3 days.

I'm happy with that.
  9. macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Good to know they're on the ball about this one. Perhaps that'll quell some of the nay-sayers....sadly, I doubt it, though.

What? Why would anyone do that? This is beta's going to have bugs...the fact that they're getting such bad press for their BETA software is beyond me.
  10. Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
  11. macrumors 603

Some of the user feedback that is more relevant to end users has to do with "features" offered by Firefox and Opera. Perhaps Apple could implement some of the features in Safari under an "alternate interface" similar to what "Sprint" did with word processing in the late 80's. That word processor had "interfaces" for Wordstar, Word Perfect, Word, and about a dozen others, while the underlyinjg program was a kernal. It allowed users of "any" word processor to use it with no learning curve, and some users used it to convert files from one format to another.

12. macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO
    If you think there won't be more Safari patching done post-release, then you're kidding yourself. :cool:

I applaud Apple for rectifying the problems quickly...and I still think they need to change their "secure from day one" tagline. :eek:
  13. macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm running XP and I haven't really had any problems....what're you doing with it?
  14. macrumors member

Mar 12, 2005
    Not getting that behaviour over here. Runs fine on XP.
  15. macrumors 68020

Aug 31, 2003
    Wherever my feet take me…
    Kinda sad it had bugs in the first place, but happy they got fixed quickly!
  16. macrumors 65816

Feb 9, 2007
    To be fair, Firefox has been good about keeping their browser stable, but I'm really glad to see that Apple is making such an effort, as well. Despite the naysayers, this is what's gonna grow Safari's portion of the pie-chart. Kudos, Cupertino!
  17. BKF
    macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm glad they're on this. I mean, I know it's a beta, but you still get the feeling that they wanted this out the door before the iPhone release, and that the calendar got the best of them on this.
  18. macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    whatever, this patch is good, apple's Beta debut with a huge PR campaign, the security holes exposes large amount of users to the risks, so a patch is very necessary.

for whoever claim apple patched the hole before "release", please, u are literally betting on apple's final version of safari for windows will NOT have any security hole in the future? Thats just such an ignorant statement.

next step for safari: make it native, make it support localized windows (i heard report saying it doesn't display font correctly with chinese and korean version of windows), make webkit mature, make it more flexible, make tab browsing better.
  19. BKF
    macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Agree, but "Secure from day three" doesn't have the same ring.
  20. Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    So it would seem...

Here's what happens when I'm trying to add a bookmark:

Picture 2.jpg

Fantastic... :rolleyes:
  21. macrumors 68000

Jul 3, 2005
    Do you know how Betas work?
  22. macrumors 68000

Jan 12, 2006
    Rumor has it, the execution of command line stuff still works and was not fixed...

Safari works great on my Mac (on OSX). Never crashed, uber fast, way more stable than Firefox. I like it.
  23. PNW
    macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2007
    Cause they pimped it, and because Apple is branded as "it just works". Combine the two and you get people that don't realize that Safari 3 is still at day < 0

On another note:
    I've generally found it to run more smoothly on my XP box than the first version of IE7 that M$ attempted to push out in a windows update.
  24. macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Kinda sad it had bugs in the first place? When was the last time you wrote software that doesn't have bugs? I hope that's a joke.....

What's wrong with their tabbed browsing? I think it works pretty well, and it's definitely a vast improvement over Safari2, and if you want my opinion, I think WebKit is maturing rather nicely. I'd put it up against the Gecko engine just about anyday as far as maturity and standards compliance goes.
  25. macrumors member

May 3, 2006
    This is great news. I'm surprised and impressed with Apples quick response, however I think I'll wait a bit longer before downloading it for Windows. I have however been running it on my iBook. It is very much improved over version 2. The two things that kept my using Firefox have been fixed. Searching in place and it now works for me with Gmail which I could not get to work with Safari 2. My only remaining grip is that there is no way to open links in new tabs by default. I would even settle for a keyboard shortcut for the Merge Windows function (which I love) instead.