Safari, FTP, Removable disk??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by advres, Feb 24, 2004.

1. advres Guest

advres

OK, I do a lot of video effects work for my friend. We used to live down the road so I would bring my Firewire drive to his house, transfer the DV media I needed to work with and then transfer the stuff back once I was finished.

I recently moved and going to his house everyday is not an option so he set up an FTP site so we could transfer the work back and forth. When I log into thhe FTP site with IE, I can search the site like a web page and it allows me to transfer files with the built in download manager. Unfortunately, I have problems staying connected using IE, and Camino so I have tried using Safari.

With Safari, when I log into the site it mounts it as a newtork disk onto my desktop. Since this happens I have tried to drag and drop the files I needed right to my desktop. I have had ttransfer problems since the files we are transfering arre so big. I have also tried to drag and drop to my firewire drive as well. Is there anyway to make it so I can use Safari's Download manager so I can resume a download that has been interupted?

If this is impossible, does anyone know of a better browser to use so we can transfer these files easier? Or, does is there a simple solution to this delema that I am just overlooking? My only option right now is to keep Fedexing DV tapes back and forth but this is not an ideal situation to deal with because of time and money.

PLEASE, I NEED HELP!!!!

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I would look through VersionTracker (www.versiontracker.com) for GUI-based FTP clients. The whole Safari FTP thing really rubbed me the wrong way, so I started using Netscape.

Since Safari mounts it on the desktop, and you can't copy files to his machine, does he have the FTP server setup with write permissions for your user?

You could also go into terminal and upload a file to test:

cd Documents
    ftp <his machine name or IP>
    login with your credentials
    mput *.doc
    (This would upload all .doc files)
    or you could
    put <filename>
    (this would put <filename> on his server)

If these commands fail, it sounds like an issue on the FTP server.

Let us know how we can assist further.

EDIT:

Some of the GUI clients out there will support resume. You might also check out rsync as it only uploads/downloads the bytes that are different, not the entire file. For example, say you change 500k of a 1GB file. With FTP, you have to upload the entire 1GB file. With rsync, you upload only 500k.

3. advres thread starter Guest

advres

I haven't even tried sending him anything yet. Since I haven't been able to get any of the files I needed from his server I haven't had anything to send him back.

I am going to go to versiontracker when I get home from work and see if they have anything that will help me.

If anyone still has advice I would love to hear it since I am pretty nieve when it comes to this whole thing.

Thanks

4. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

yeah, sounds like you need an FTP manager. i've had good results with two programs called Fetch and Fugu.

5. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I would lover the Safari/finder ftp to...work, but unfortunately its just not there yet. Transmit is an amazing ftp client, I suggest you try it out.

6. advres thread starter Guest

advres

PhatPat

yo Phatpat - Thank you so much. Transmit rocks.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You should try Interarchy. It mounts FTP sites on your Desktop just like any other networked volume. Then use a file synchronization utility to automatically synchronize your files.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

a free very good FTP browser for X is:RBrowser lite :) i use it all the time.