Safari & Gmail: Rich formatting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theBB, Apr 8, 2006.

1. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Safari is supposedly a "fully supported browser" for gmail, but I do not see a "Rich formatting" option so that I can change font size, choose bold or italic etc. My Safari is up to date and I have enabled Java and Javascript. Anybody else with the same problem?

It works fine from IE on XP. (I don't remember whether FireFox is OK as well.) Spell Checker option is fine, but of course I don't need that on a Mac.

2. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

Yeah it's stupid that they don't put it in the Gmail documentation, but Safari isn't really fully supported. Rich text doesn't work for me either. I've also experienced bugginess when spawning new windows and I don't think chat works in Safari. Everything seems to work in Camino and Firefox, so I'm guessing full compatibility with Safari is not a priority at Google right now.

3. spellflower macrumors regular

I've been having a lot of problems w/ gmail and safari. I often lose my back button (it goes gray, and I have to use the history to get back), and when I open a new window, the cursor stays in gmail, so any text I input goes into the compose field, not the top window. I also can't minimize gmail windows at times (they bounce right back up). Annoying! I guess I'll have to add gmail to the internet accounts which I need Camino for (Novell doesn't like Safari very much either).

Come to think of it, how can I get my gmail notifier to open gmail in Camino, while still keeping Safari as my default browser the rest of the time? Please, tell me there's a way!

4. Yuda macrumors newbie

Safari 3 supports Gmail rich text!

The latest version of Safari (v3) fixes the gmail problem. You can write in rich text just like in Firefox.

You can download the beta now from the apple site (very stable) and I'm sure with the release of Leopard, the final version will be available for separate download soon.