Safari hates italics?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SAdProZ, Apr 9, 2006.

1. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

I must be the only person in the world with this problem, but it appears italics cannot be read in Safari. They actually show up as giberish. But its only Safari. I also use Firefox and im attaching a comparison to prove the weirdness.

Picture-2.jpg

2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Can I have a direct link to that page? Safari should read italics just fine... I just want to check it out on mine. :)

3. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

seems like a font issue, like the italic set in helvetica or whatever font it is has been corrupted.
    edit: i forgot the fix. go to font book, select all the fonts, and validate them.

4. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

hey, guys thanks for replying. I validated all fonts as soon as i realized this problem. Everything validated OK. My Safari is the only one that does this. There are a ton of macs at my school and I havent run across this problem there. It's only me. It could be that my font management software is messing with Helvetica (I use Suitcase Fusion).

5. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

hey, heres the link:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/24/jobs_apple_stock/

although many websites are displayed with this problem, notably engadget.com which i read all the time and just have to guess the italic giberish. i did a search online and it seems apple is aware of this problem. i guess ill have to use firefox until update fixes this.

6. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Most certainly a font issue. All the letters are transposed two glyphs down the character set:

F (+2) H
    o (+2) q
    r (+2) t
    b (+2) d
    e (+2) g
    s (+2) u

Your font files may well be technically 'valid' (i.e. not corrupted), but one of them's definitely got its symbols in the wrong places.

Take a browse through Font Book and see if you can track it down. If it's not an Apple-supplied font, remove it and let Safari pick another. If it is an Apple font, then use Pacifist to get the original out from the OS X installer package.

Good luck!

7. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

ok so this is probably it:

there is a font, which Suitcase Fusion manages, that is causing all this. If Suitcase isn't open, Safari works fine. But if it's on, It causes the problem, and also warns me (see screenshots). It;s called "Helvetica-Oblique", and even though I can 'Deactivate' it, it reactivates itself the second I open up a website, like TheRegister.Co.UK, that calls on it. Weird.

So i'm gonna delete it, reopen suitcase, reopen Safari, and see what happens. be right back.

Picture 1.jpg Picture 2.jpg

ok. even though i deleted that one file, the problem still exists.

8. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

It Works!!!

Ok. It works now. I can read Italics. I realized that it activated the second Helvetica-Oblique as well (duh! i guess) so i deleted that and everything is fine. Thanks for the assistance.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You aren't (weren't) the only one. I have the same problem. I'm also running suitcase. Guess I'll have to do some digging.

10. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Just incase you havent already figured it out:
    1. Quit both Suitcase and Safari.
    2. Start Suitcase... wait till all fonts load and ready.
    3. Start Safari and find a page with screwed up italics. Suitcase (atleast Suitcase Fusion) should pop a window telling you which font is causing trouble (mine was "HelveObl" aka Helvetica-Oblique).
    4. Delete them if the foundry is Adobe or anything other than Apple.
    5. Restart Safari and everything should work.

GOODLUCK!

11. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced