Safari hates me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AoWolf, Oct 6, 2004.

1. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Recently when ever I do a google search or try to open a book mark I get this message saying safari can't find the server. When I click the link again it loads. Any ideas?

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

not sure but try empting the cache.. Application menu (Safari), Empty Cache.

your machine may be holding an old DNS value for that particular site.. not so familiar with trying to fix that issue on a mac though, only had my powerbook for 6 months

3. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Nope didn't work. But its not just one site its all of them. This is the error i get.

Safari can’t open the page “http://ev-nova.net/” because it can’t find the server “ev-nova.net”.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I get that a lot just clicking on links in various web pages, including these forums. It'll tell me there is no data to load, then will load if I click again. I'll try clearing the cache, since that's a no harm thing anyway.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It could be that your DNS is slow in responding. Either it's overloaded (or running on a slow machine), or your network traffic could be too high.

Does this only happen from Google searches?

6. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I doubt it this is a 1 ghz iBook with 768 ram. Also I about 250kb a second.

7. krisjon macrumors regular

Same problem

I've been having the exact same problem with Safari since the recent OSX update and the additional security updates. I'm wondering if there isn't a bug now. My Safari hasn't acted up until these recent updates. It's frustrating me so much, I'm thinking of switching browsers for awhile. I hate having to reload every other page I try to get on.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I kinda doubt it's a bug, of the 3 Panther machines I use regularly, I've not encountered this problem.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You're running your own DNS server?

If you're not, I'm not talking about your computer being slow, I'm talking about the DNS server being slow (possibly).

10. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I've had the exact same thing happen since the recent patches. I'll open a site and get that error then refresh or open it again and it works. It's not all of my bookmarks and there is no rhyme or reason to it. Entourage is doing it too on one of my email servers. It's not my DNS because other windows machines on the same network do not have the issue (everyone uses the dns settings on my airport extreme). Pinging the servers seems to always work. It seems like a DNS lookup is not responding fast enough, but its odd that it isn't all of the bookmarks/sites/links.

I'll try clearing my cache again.
    -jim

11. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

This is definitely a bug in Safari (or some support framework it uses). It was there in Jaguar, but as I recall, Apple fixed it in one of the late Jaguar updates. Then it came back in Panther and has been around ever since. Rather annoying!

File a bug report at http://bugs.apple.com/ or send a report through the "Report Bugs to Apple..." menu option under the Safari menu. Or better, do both. ;) The more people who report it, the more likely it is that they'll fix it (again). I'll see if I can search and dig up which release actually fixed it in the past. If enough people start sending them that detailed info, maybe it'll actually get back to someone who can take a look at see what fixed it before.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

???? :confused: ????

So what is different about your computers then the ~200 I care for that don't exhibit any of these problems?

13. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I think it must be a safari because it happens only on this mac. (I have 4 on 10.3) So I think that rules the server out.

14. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I'm pretty sure its a bug. Since updating to the latest security patch a couple days ago,all 4 macs in my office have started doing that.

15. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

No idea. It must be something obscure that triggers the bug only in certain situations. I'd guess that if it were happening frequently within Apple, the Safari team would make it more of a priority to fix. :p For me, it happens on a daily basis. Can't find server, reload the page and it works fine. Never, ever happens in any other browser on the same machines.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Are you folks using PithHelmet, or some other Safari enhancement/plug-ins?

17. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

18. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Me either, no extra plug-ins or anything. This is 10.3.5 on a dual 2.5 with 1 gig mem.
    -jim

19. tace macrumors member

Not just Safari

I've been getting this same error a lot in Firefox since I upgraded to 10.3.5 + some more security patches.

20. krisjon macrumors regular

Bingo. My machine (and Safari) has been virtually flawless since the day I got it - until now. The most recent updates = Houston, we have a problem.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Weird. I guess I should count my lucky stars.

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, I have that problem too. It's been happening for months. I can't believe that some of you have never experienced it.

Yellow, I don't think it is the DNS server because the error pops up immediately - it doesn't get a chance to contact the server. My connection's quite slow so I'm certain that it's not communicating with the outside world.

<rant>Telstra, hurry up and install my broadband!</rant>

23. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I've got that in the eMac but not in the iBook, maybe I got that some weeks ago, but I can assure you that it goes after I clean cache and repair permissions... it goes and my come weeks later... just for the record, (it could be out of topic) are you using Airport extreme for internet access?

24. tace macrumors member

AE and Ethernet

I had this problem happen at home with Airport Extreme and at work with Ethernet.

25. siliconjones macrumors member

siliconjones

Me to!!!

I have also experienced this happening since the most recent security updates. Definitely a bug. Hopefully we will be seeing another update soon. Anyone know Dave Hyatt's email?