Safari hogging all my RAM!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by YoYoMa, Sep 9, 2006.

1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2006
    I keep my Mac running pretty much all the time and what I notice is, after visiting a few websites, my RAM keeps disappearing. Even if I close all of the Safari windows, my RAM will still be gone. Then, when I quit safari, I'll get a HUGE amount of RAM back, sometimes over 256MB. Is this normal?

PS-- When I say a few websites, I mean less than ten. The way I browse usually, I'll keep maybe four tabs open, and rotate sites between them, but usually don't have to visit more than 10 sites for me to notice this massive irritation. I literally have to keep quitting and reopening Safari.

Am I the only one? Does anyone know why it's happening and how to prevent it?
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    1. large amount of flash, pictures on a webpage normally consume more ram
    2. you are not talking about virtue memory, are you?
  3. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2006
    That's because of's a feature, not a bug.
  4. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2006
    Not a lot of flash things at all. Most of the sites I frequent are forums and such. I'll keep an eye on it in regards to this though. Could you give me a more detailed description of what caching is and it's purpose? Also, am I the only one that is bothered by the fact that I have to completely quit out of Safari multiple times a day to keep my RAM at a decant level? Quite an inconvenience for a "feature" that I've previously gotten along fine without.
  5. Schnebar macrumors 6502

May 15, 2006
    Maybe you are running safari under rosetta?

Go to get info to check.
  6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Safari's a RAM hog, and forums, well, yeah, you're going to lose some RAM because of all the vBulletin stuff. :)
  7. NATO macrumors 68000

Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    Over time (days/weeks), I've noticed Safari's 'Real Memory' usage can increase to 700MB+ :eek:

It's usually just a case of quitting and restarting to reclaim all that lost RAM.

Really needs to be something that is fixed in a future version of Safari.
  8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Caching makes frequently visited pages load faster by keeping a local copy of unchanged portions (images and such). You can empty it by pressing option-command-E (or choosing "Empty Cache" from the Safari menu :rolleyes: ). However, this has, on occasion, actually caused Safari to use more of my RAM (usually when several other RAM-hungry apps are also running.)
  9. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Safari is most definitely a memory hog.

It's even funner on 2.4kb dial-up

Even with a G5 2.0 my system will lock up every once in a while, but
    mostly when linking to a .pdf document online.

I get beach balled almost every time.
  10. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    I've recently noticed this as well. I've had it consume up to 600mb of real memory. This is a recent development, and I would assume that apple changed their caching algorithm, or they introduced a rather large memory leak. Either way the memory usage never goes down. Its getting to the point that I am going to stop using safari, and start using firefox.
  11. furious macrumors 65816

Aug 7, 2006