safari improvements

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jxyama, Jun 9, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

safari improvements i'd like to see...

-a warning or disabling of "close window" (the red button) if multiple tabs are open. it's just a bad design to have one button be able to wipe out contents that one can't see (hence higher chances of not realizing it's being wiped out)

-i'd like the google bar to accept drag and drop texts

-option to create a new tab with a keyboard shortcut for bookmarks in a folder. currently, only standalone bookmarks can be made into a new tab with apple-mouse click. (this also goes for "home" button. apple-mouse click doesn't create new tab for that...)

-persistent caching.

anyone else with more suggestions? any 3rd party workarounds for any of the above?

2. sir42 macrumors 6502

- pop-up whitelist - This feature is so important to me that I just switched to Camino.

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

what is this?

really good idea!

Johnny

4. sir42 macrumors 6502

On Safari you can block pop-ups, which is great, but it's a blanket block. A whitelist allows the user to grant permission to specific sites that use pop-ups, while blocking pop-ups from all other sites. I happen to visit a couple of sites where I want to receive pop-ups. But I don't like receiving Orbitz or X10 pop-ups whenever I visit www.nytimes.com.

5. Maritan macrumors regular

It's not exactly drag and drop, but if you wanted to do a Google search of a word on particular webpage, highlight and use the shift-command-L keyboard shortcut to do a Google search.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Oh yeah, I forgot about that...in fact I have it on one of my buttons on my mouse...the contexual menu pops up after highlighting a word and I select google search or copy. but when I select a word in the text I am typing right now the click and hold contextual menu doesn't work for google but the shift-command L still does. I guess the contextual menu only works for web page text that is typed by the web master.

Thanks Sir42- that would be helpful, but not that important to me right now.

Johnny

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

- I second the pop-up whitelist - I really need that for 2 sites.

- the ability to turn off autocompletion in the location field (like you can in Mozilla).

- an option to let favicons show in the Bookmarks Bar.

- more diversified options on plug-in handling, e.g. so I can turn off Flash-contents when surfing news sites with annoying flash ads, but still see/hear QT contents.

- better bookmark hanling, e.g. the ability to import/export bookmarks without the Debug menu or thirdparty programs

That's all I can remember so far...