Safari in Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Billicus, May 1, 2005.

1. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I have had a lot of trouble with Safari after installing Tiger on my computer. Otherwise Tiger is great, but Safari absolutely refuses to open on my computer now. This is the crash report that I get when Safari tries to open:

Date/Time: 2005-05-01 19:52:40.066 -0500
    OS Version: 10.4 (Build 8A428)
    Report Version: 3

Command: Safari
    Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
    Parent: WindowServer [88]

Version: 2.0 (412)
    Build Version: 1
    Project Name: WebBrowser
    Source Version: 4120000

PID: 1025
    Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000006

I actually got it to work once, after I opened Safari 1.2, but after I closed Safari 2.0 again, it refused to open again. I've sent my problem report to Apple a few times, so I hope that they get it figured out before Tiger 10.4.1 comes out.

However, I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem, and whether there was any work around that had been found?

Thanks. :)

2. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Have you tried deleting the files that are associated with Safari? You might want to delete the .plist file for Safari then relaunch it and see what happens.

3. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I tried deleting everything associated with Safari and reinstalling from the Tiger DVD and there was no difference... :eek:

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

That is really weird. I can't think of anything else to try. It sounds like this may only be affecting you (on these forums). No one else has reported this problem as far as I know. How did you install Tiger? Archive & Install, Upgrade, Clean install?

5. dsyntax macrumors member

Yeah, actually the problem happened to me as well (thanks for the reply Billicus BTW). I don't know about him, but I did an Upgrade, not a clean install.

6. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I'm kind of curious to see if this would happen after a clean install. I'm leaning towards no but there could've been something wrong with the previous configuration. Or, could be that the upgrade hosed the system.

I haven't received my copy of Tiger yet (burn in hell FedEx!!). I'm going to do a clean install after I format my hard drive. Everything is backed up to my external hard drive. This is another reason why I never do anything but clean installs. Everything seems to work better when starting with a clean slate.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm sorry, Billicus, that sounds really frustrating. :( I'm with Pismo...I'm almost thinking that you have a system file that's corrupted...either some part of the webkit libraries or maybe even your kernel. :eek:

8. ksz macrumors 68000

Having ruled out all the usual suspects, most everything now will be a longshot, but here goes:

1. When installing from the DVD, did you allow the installer to verify the DVD or did you skip that operation? (FYI, I skipped it, couldn't wait that long.)

2. Are you sure you deleted the Safari preferences file, the one with a ".plist" extension?

3. Do you have Safari 1.2 and 2.0 installed at the same time?

4. If Safari 1.2 is working, try clearing the cache, cookies, history, and all. Keep the bookmarks. Then delete Safari 1.2 and install only 2.0, assuming the installer has verified your DVD.

5. Take two aspirins and call Apple in the morning.

9. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

If all else fails, back up all of your data, format your drive, and start over. If you can't I think you're screwed.

10. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Huh... This is quite odd. :p

I can't get it to work at all... It did, however, work when I created a new account, so it must be something in my Users account that was transferred when I archived and installed Tiger. Hmm... :confused:

11. AdamZ macrumors regular

Safari is also illin' on me

My problem though is that Safari hangs when trying to save movies via Quicktime Pro. Nasty, also can't shutdown, reboot, or log out user, but after two clean installs I give up till 10.4.1

12. lordmac macrumors regular

Too bad you don't have that nice handy dandy fedex tracker widget to track it with. :D
    Hehe sry that was mean but i couldn't resist.

As for your safari problem thats weird, Although it seems to me everyone is having different problems with tiger. Me, for example have had no problems what so ever and i did an upgrade. Were as my friend put it on his g5 and it broke nearly all his drivers and support applications a kept jaming on him repeatably he must have hard restarted it 5 times in a row
    be fore he just ended up reinstalling it and it it worked fine after that. :rolleyes:

13. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Well... I am tranferring everything to a new account... I can't for the life of me figure out what the deal was with the other one, but we'll just leave that be I guess. :p Safari works fine in a second account, so there is some malicious file hiding in my 1st User folder. ;)

14. starnox macrumors 6502

Having the same problems as you, works fine first time after I restart, but when it crashes once it keeps on crashing.

I may do a clean install later.