safari is deadly!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rye9, Jan 15, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

My only app open was Safari, and all of a sudden, my iBook began to make lots of noise from the processor, and my iBook slowed down. It lasted for less than a minute. So.. I thought it was strange so I checked out Activity Monitor. Earlier today my Page Outs were about 2,000. Now, they are 95,000!!!!! Should I change my Internet Browser?!

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Um, which website where you at? Did it have flash on it, or some other activity like a Java script. Have you also Repaired your Permissions.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

I repaired my permissions last night after I installed iWork '06. I have no idea which site I was at and I had private browsing on so I cant go check. All I know is that I was in google and was searching for old Apple TV ad's. I must've been at one of the sites with commercials on it. But still, why would that cause about 100,000 page outs? My iBook is running perfectly but I thought with numbers that high, it was gonna blow!:D

4. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

It might not be Safari causing the page-outs, although I know Safari has in the past had memory leaks.

If it just happened the once it could just be a glitch in safari. It's worth checking that you haven't got any background processes/applications (such as 3rd party utilities, widgets, anti-virus software etc...) that have gone skitz. It's also worth checking that you have plenty of spare hard disk. I like to keep at least 5gb free, but you should be ok as long as you have a spare 2/3gb.

5. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Safari does indeed suck. I am a new mac user and so far my only complaint is the sorry choice of browsers available.

6. mvelinder macrumors regular

Camino? Firefox?

I've tried both but still came back to Safari.

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ROTFLMAO, I have been using Safari since version 1.0 and its worked great with web standards. It has had few issues in the past where it used to crash when visiting certain sites, however with version 2.0+ that does not happen any longer.

You can check out www.versiontracker.com to try out other Mac OS X browsers.

Mention a few:

OMNIweb
    FireFox

the list goes on. :)

8. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

:eek: That is a joke, right?

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Some people have not had a chance to see what Safari actually offers. Beauty and simplicity. ;)

I like it, its not hard on the eyes and it focuses your attention on the web content rather than the UI. After all that is the whole point of a good browser, along with stability. :)

10. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I am not joking...

Safari crashes alot! Even with the update. It timesout and throws the lil pinwheel and BOOM right in the middle of stuff. UGH!

It is very slow compared to firefox and camino. Especially on my favorite messageboard. I can open a page in safari and open it in firefox and safari will stil be loading while firefox has already completed the task.

When browsing on myspace.com its crashes ALOT! just like firefox and camino both crash alot!

I swear if IE had tabs, I would be using it instead.

The only reason I hate firefox and camino is because one they crash too much when im on myspace and they often have trouble playing embedded media( ie flash and streaming windows media stuff)...that is the only reason I use Safri over those two(because it plays media well).

I was going to try opera, I havent gotten around to it yet.

Maybe there is something wrong with my computer, Ive repaired persmissions. But I absolutely hate Safari and my web browsing experience on this mac has not been what I would like for it to be. That is my only complaint about Macs so far.

11. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

I would have to say you're having a hardware issue if Firefox, Safari and Camino are all crashing. They shouldn't be crashing at all doing anything.

I just went to myspace.com myself...um...interesting website. But anyway, I was browsing around and had no slow downs or crashes or anything. What are you doing specifically, or do they just crash for no reason?

12. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

They just crash for no reasons. Just viewing profiles and they will stall and shut down. This does not happen in IE. My friend said she has the same problem with her iBook.

13. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I have a bizarre, recurring problem with Safari ... it keeps losing the backward/forward button on the address bar. I keeping putting it back in and it stays there for awhile, then disappears again.

14. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

myspace is a headache for pretty much any browser, its badly coded. Seems to work better on windows computers. However try installing flip4mac, it seems to play embedded windows media files better than windows media player fo mac.

15. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Anyone who makes this statement obviously has some issues. IE is the worst web browser ever!

I would say that myspace.com is the problem here. Or you have some messed up cookies or something. Maybe try reseting your browser or something. Firefox and Safari are both great browser. Niether should give you any troubles.

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Huh?? It's always seemed to me that web browsers are one area where there is more choice on the Mac than on Windows. I don't know anyone who uses anything other than IE, FireFox, Netscape or Opera on Windows. I know people who use Safari, Camino, Firefox, Opera, OmniWeb, Shiira, Netscape, iCab and even IE on OS X, and there are even more browsers out there. I personally have 10 or so browsers on my PowerBook.

Personally I like Safari the best, but Camino is also excellent, as are Firefox and OmniWeb. If you don't like Safari, there are plenty of other options.

17. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Well the ones Ive tried so far arent getting the job done for me. Maybe I need to download more.

18. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I don't use myspace, but I've heard other people complain about it, so that's probably the problem. Safari never crashes for me, and I leave it running just about all the time. That said, definitely give Opera a try. It's a solid, fast browser with a long history.

19. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Just wondering though, does page outs damage anything? what does it do?

20. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

It just means that your computer is using Hard Disk space when it runs out of RAM. It's perfectly normal for this to happen to some extent, but if it's happening a lot then adding more RAM will help speed things up.

It wont damage your computer.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

myspace is HORRIBLE for almost any browser.

to the OP: You might want to get Pacifist and try reinstalling Safari.

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

your ibook cant "blow" it can only go it full pelt and it can take it.

23. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I just ordered a gig of ram so that will take me up to 1.5 gigs of ram once installed, maybe that will help as well.

24. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

25. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

I love safari, it simply does what you need. No chunky icons and nicknacks. It just works. When I first switched, the naive little windows user went straight to internet explorer. You know what happened next. Then it kept going from firefox to safari, but safari is more pretty. Firefox is just as good as safari, but it still looks like its a few years behind in design.