Safari is Poison?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by electric, Jan 9, 2003.

1. electric macrumors regular

Oh No,

I had a total OS X blow out. Classic stopped working, external CDRW stopped, DVD stopped, printer stopped working. I freaked out wondering what I might have done to goof things up. I decided to buy a new copy of OS X Jag and return drive to all zeros and start fresh thinking that maybe all the software updates have taken there collective toll. So everything is running great now but then I stumbled on a thread in slashdot regarding Safari problems and Oh shiznit, seems that if you print from Safari it can erase your home directory and cause other problems. Then I realized... I tried to print from Safari just before my blow out, the computer would not print and came up with a error window. So beware of the Beta.

Here is a link to the Slashdot thread

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/09/2139223&mode=thread&tid=107

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

At discussions.info.apple.com, I spotted this scary post by Richard Peterson:

I have no evidence that the reports in this discussion are correct, so I'll just remind everyone that Safari is beta software and it's always wise to take backups, especially when testing new software.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

This was posted in another thread; again I point out that if it's compressed, and downloading, it's NOT SAFARI that is causing these problems. It would probably be the browser that's downloading it. When it's downloading in, what SIT format, it's just like any other compressed file.

but the printing bug seems to be real. Pretty dangerous for Apple to release such a costly bug in the most anticipated software of the last few years... Tho it is a beta, and people seem to forget that.

Only problem I've had is that the Apple System Profiler stopped working the minute i first launched Safari, and hasn't worked since. Haven't needed it yet, so it's no big deal so far...

:)
    pnw

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I searched MacRumors before I posted and didn't spot the other thread. Sorry if I'm duplicating what others have reported.

I read up some more on the downloading problem. From my understanding, the problem results from the naming of downloaded files when you use option-clicking. The downloaded files are given names xxx, xxx-1, xxx-2, etc., where xxx is your user name. If one of those names (most likely the xxx one) happens to be the name of an already existing file or folder in your download directory (often the desktop), it is being overwritten.

In any case, the problem has been reported to Apple.

5. superkatalog macrumors regular

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

paulwhannel, I don't think you understand the situation. People are downloading the files FROM WITHIN Safari. It is Safari that is causing this problem when it saves the file. Some peoples' home directories have been wiped after they use option-clicking a link to download the file from within Safari.

So... don't option-click in Safari until they address this, that's the safest solution.

7. Wash!! macrumors 6502

I don't have this problem

I been printing and downloading with safari and have no problems.

8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I had same problem, i have lost thousands of files, and hundreds of pounds worth of data, earlier versions of Safari Beta didn't do this but this version did :(

Ensign

9. Wash!! macrumors 6502

????

Eaelier version? I though there was only one beta. the one that went on line on tuesday.
    :confused:

10. Kid Red macrumors 65816

No problems printing or downloading on 3 macs here. There's something else causing this issue as some have it and some don't. I want a real download amnager anyways, one with an open/save dialog so I can choose where files are downloaded to.

Seems maybe files downloaded to desktop or inside user folder maybe have issues? My download folder is root level.

11. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I wanted to thank everyone for downloading the beta and testing it before I download the final releas. :p :D

BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA BUMMER!

12. Wash!! macrumors 6502

There is no final release!!!!!

What you download from apple's web site is the beta.!!!!!

13. liven2 macrumors regular

No problems at all

It has worked just fine for me.. NOt a single issue except for a few java based web sites not working correctly but not bad at all.

14. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: There is no final release!!!!!

I think that he meant when the final release comes out.

15. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Re: Re: There is no final release!!!!!

You are exactly right. Didn't realize someone might misread that.

16. multifinder macrumors member

Apple just posted a new version of Safari that's "recommended for all Safari users"...maybe this fixes the problem...