Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
Whenever loading a page, more often then not Safari will just hang there for about 15 seconds seemingly doing nothing, then the page will start to load. Even then, the page just seems to hang and load extremely slow.

For example, I clicked on my CNN.com bookmark and it started to hang. I opened a new tab, came here, and started making this post. As I am typing right now, CNN.com is still loading.

A lot of the times with these hangs, after the page times out or I just lose my patience, I'll hit refresh and the page will load almost instantly like normal.

Anyone else experiencing something like this?

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
Is this true for any browser or just Safari? Have you cleared Safari's cache recently? Sometimes that causes slowdowns as it compares cache and online site.

Are you running any bandwidth intensive programs like Bittorrent in the background? This will affect speed of browsing, too.

Otherwise, my guess is that your ISP is having some DNS issues. I had that problem with my cable modem for a couple of days until they worked it out. It had the same symptom that you are seeing of a 20-30 second pause before connecting to the site. Have you tried pointing you Name Servers to somewhere different? This could be hard if you don't know of another DNS to use, though. You can contact your ISP and see if they know of the issue. Sometimes they have backup DNS servers you can use.

Jim

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
try resetting your modem. you can also try and unplugging the modem for about a minute... that might work.

make sure your computer is off while you do this.

ive had this happen and usually it works out if i turn everything off and disconnect all devices, also it cant hurt to unplug the power cables of all devices. then wait about a minute or two. reconnect the data cables first. then reconnect the power cables. now...following the path of the data cables turn on each device and allow to start up completely before going to the next device. continue powering up the chain in this way.

if you find that a particular device is hanging and wont start up all the way...go ahead and start the next device in the chain.

this has solved the problem a couple of times for me. HOWEVER, safari sure does seem slower than when it first came out.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
It has nothing to do with my ISP or modem. I have two other computers in my house (Windows machines) and they work fine on the internet.

It seems to be a Safari problem.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I have the same problems with Safari, and it doesn't affect me in Firefox at all. So you aren't the only one.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I get this all the time in Safari on both of my machines. I only noticed this after upgrading to Tiger though. Safari 1 in Panther never did this. Hopefully it will be fixed in 10.4.2

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
i had this issue when i first got my powerbook. i could type in an address and hit enter, then switch to my pc desktop, type in my pw after the screen saver wakes up, open up firefox, type in the same address and it comes up before Safari even began to show the site.

of course i downloaded firefox and have used that ever since, but i noticed after upgrading to Tiger the Safari problem went away for me. so hopefully it goes away for you after an upgrade or something

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I've read on several different Mac forums that browsing on a Mac is slower than on a PC.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Not always true although surfing was slower with Safari mark 1.

Safari 2 is much faster than the IE I use in the office on the PC (and no, I can't have Firefox there! :( ) Mine is loading virtually instantaneously - not even a 5 second hang.

This has been a problem with certain configurations thought. I did read a fix, you might be able to google it, about manually entering DNS entries to speed up Safari's browsing.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
This is getting pretty annoying. Anyone know any potential fixes? Almost every page hangs and takes longer to load then it should.

Whenever I first installed Tiger, Safari was flying and loading pages faster then ever before. Now I'm contemplating switching to Camino (though I'm holding out because it seems to render pages just a little bit weird in some cases).

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
There is a freaky network thing going on for some Tiger users. Hopefully fixing it for good is part of what is taking 10.4.2 so long.

Some people have found that disabling IPv6 in Network preferences on the interface used for the Internet stops the pauses (by default it's set to automatic). It doesn't seem to help everyone, but it worked here.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Gherkin said:
Now I'm contemplating switching to Camino (though I'm holding out because it seems to render pages just a little bit weird in some cases).

Go for it, seriously. I promise you won't regret it. Banner ad blocking, find as you type, snappy response... Camino is great. [/evangelism]

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
It has nothing to do with network issues as Firefox and Camino both run circles around Safari. Safari just feels so much more solidly built then Firefox and Camino though, I want to say with Safari, but it's making things hard.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
Hmm, I downloaded the latest build of Camino, and I'm liking it more than whatever old version I was using (I think I was using 8.0, this is labeled as 0.9a1). I like the Tiger look (the top looks kinda like Mail does) and everything is loading much faster than Safari. Also, the mouse wheel scrolling seems to be improved (before it was rather erratic).

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Wow..but bitter sweet!

OMG Camino is lightening fast! I finally begain to ponder what if it was actually my Safari browser's fault for taking so long to download a web page. I mean my powerbook is new, so I finally did some research on the problem and tried out Camino. Comaparing the download times between Camino and Safari was startling, literally I could launch and be browsing my homepage before safari even pulled it up. This is bitter sweet..since I love the build of Safari, it renders slightly crisper graphics and seems to be fuller. However, speed is essential.

Is there anyway to import my passwords with my bookmarks into Camino?
Why does text seem delayed in Camino?

Otherwise an amazing browser!

P.S. what is up with spell check?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just a guess, but could any of this have to do with IPv6 problems? They sometimes cause the same kinds of difficulties, which can then be fixed by turning IPv6 off (which is mostly harmless, here's how). And the reason I ask is that I think Camino and FF determine whether or not they will use IPv6 in a different way than Safari does.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I too just switched from Safari to Camino and the difference in speed is astounding.
Camino makes browsing the net a joy....Wish i had discovered it earlier!!

SHadOW :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm still trying to figure out this issue with slow textboxes in Camino, on certain kinds of forum pages. If it weren't for that, I would really, really like Camino. :(

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
mkrishnan said:
I'm still trying to figure out this issue with slow textboxes in Camino, on certain kinds of forum pages. If it weren't for that, I would really, really like Camino. :(

It's a known bug, made worse by animated gifs. The team is currently working on it. So it should go away soon. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.