Safari is taking up so much ram!! :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by expergo, Sep 26, 2006.

1. expergo macrumors regular

Hey,

I have a base model macbook upgraded to 1.25gb ram. Everyday I turn on safari, it manages to consume so much ram and then I have to quit and re-open it. I don't look at any websites that are heavy. Mostly forums and RSS feeds. This is how much ram it takes up within a few hours...
    [​IMG]

is it like this for everyone? or is there somehting wrong with mine? I had an ibook previously and it never seemed to be a problem.

2. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

I believe Safari caches as much history as possible, I do regularly by routine clean (reset Safari) the cache. (Why not!?). How much does Safari use directly after a reset?

3. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Yeah Safari eating up ram is pretty normal. I get usage number triple that sometimes. Though when it gets that high Safari slows down and usually crashes on me.

4. Sharky II macrumors 6502

Sharky II

Quit safari then relaunch. It'll go back to around 30mb then slowly start building up again. Just be sure you quit every few hours and you'll be cool.

It's kinda dumb. Hope it gets updated soon.

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

There is nothing wrong with the way Safari uses RAM. It uses up as much free ram as you have available, but if anything else requires it, it can release that ram in an instant. You don't need to worry about constantly closing and relaunching the app.

6. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

It generally depends on what sort of media is present on the pages you visit. If there is a lot of embedded flash and/or some sort of java virtual machine-based stuff on it, Safari's memory can balloon significantly.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This occurs sometimes. It seems to occur most often after going to different pages and looking at multiple flash objects. I think it really has to do with Adobe breaking the Flash plug-in for Safari.

TEG

8. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Safari is killing me lately too. Seems to just crap out after a while and I have to quit and relaunch. Happens on every network I encounter, on all varieties of Macs. I'm starting to think it just sucks. Been using OmniWeb a whole lot more lately.