Safari is the most god-awful piece of junk I have ever used

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleanup, Nov 18, 2006.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Don't get me wrong. I love my iMac. I love OS X...

But every time Safari cries and whines and makes my G5's fan spin up like a jet turbine every time it has to load a image/Flash/text-intensive page and eventually becomes so unresponsive I can't wait any longer or just beachballs on me... *takes a breath*... I want to beat this white rectangle to a dusty pulp with my bare hands.

Maybe I'm an idiot and it's not a problem with Safari—is it my Mac? My graphics chip? Why does it also happen with text (for example, a really long page of YouTube comments)?

Quite simply, even though Safari is easy on the eyes and rather functional, it just chokes at things that I remember Windows Explorer pulling off with aplomb.

What's the real deal here? And what's the fix? Is there a fix coming? :( This is really the only thing I hate about my Mac. Safari...

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So use another browser, Firefox 2.0 is nice, Camino 1.0.3 is nice, Opera 9 is good.

You're not being forced to use Safari.

3. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

I've never had a problem with Safari yet, i accually think its a bunch faster then firefox and camino.

4. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

ditto. Shame its not for you (original poster)

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, it's the quickest browser I've used that actually works properly (not like IE6 or 7 that still can't render pages properly) but there are options if Safari's not to your taste.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

safari is my no.1 browser, i have to use firefox to check myspace, but thats it, i love the speed / feel of safari, hopefully version 3 will kill my need for firefox on rare occasions

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think there must be something wrong with your safari. Have you tried resetting it, maybe backing up your bookmarks and reinstalling even? Like everyone else in this thread, I find safari to be fast and responsive, at least as much so as any other browser.

9. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

When I used to have a Yahoo mail account, safari frequently couldn't display the attatchments correctly (especially attatchments from windows users.)
    Other than that, it's a fine browser for me. Firefox seems faster though and I like having customizable skins, Opera has the most features that I use frequently, so I even registered it.:rolleyes: What can you expect from a free browser - they all have their little annoyances.

10. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

have you tried resetting Safari?

it could be just because its cache is bogged down.

11. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

ooh i forgot about that. just emptied it. ill see if it makes a difference.

but it's normally quite zippy, except when I view Flash/image/text-filled websites... like CNet.com, Myspace, etc.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ditto. The only time it's ever crashed on me was during some PSP advert. Certainly not "the most god-awful piece of junk I have ever used". I don't understand, did it murder your family, perhaps you over and left you in a wheelchair? Or is it merely a software application that got your fans spinning?

What really gets on my nerves is when IE crashes and fails to see that it HAS crashed. No error report or anything. That's a real betrayal.

13. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

You want the fix? Quit going to MySpace.

How can someone blame a browser for crashing when given the nearly impossible task of rendering some people's MySpace pages?

14. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I love Safari! It's so much quicker and nicer looking than Firefox etc;)

15. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

I really prefer the look and feel and operation of Safari to some of the alternatives...but I do get frustrated with incompatibilities with many sites. I can't get Safari to work write with USPS.com's postage application. There are many others. Sometimes, the site itself blocks use because it doesn't recognize Safari's browser type information. In these cases, I end up using Firefox.

Hopefully the next rev will help in some of these cases, though there's not much you can do about some web sites that want a specific browser.

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

What he said! :p I personally love Camino, despite it's simplistic approach and slightly buggy feature set.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree as well - if Safari isn't working for you, there are plenty of other excellent browsers out there which will do the trick nicely. :)

19. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

20. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

:rolleyes: to the above poster.

I love Safari too - if it's really that bad try re-instaling it from your OSX disks?

MySpace is a horrific website. Why anybody would want to waste their looking for slutty girls o' my space is beyond me.

21. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

"You want the fix? Quit going to MySpace.

How can someone blame a browser for crashing when given the nearly impossible task of rendering some people's MySpace pages?"

how about we'll stop visiting myspace when you realise you don't control our web access?

22. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Gees, touchy subject. Just offering some advice. Everyone I know that uses MySpace complains about how bad it sucks, yet no one gives it up.

Keep doing what you're doing, having the same problem, and blaming it on the browser. :rolleyes:

23. oober_freak macrumors regular

Use the Webkit nightly builds(www.webkit.org)

Webkit is god sent, literally. :p

24. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Okay okay okay... yes Safari is a great browser... it may be better than all the rest of the Mac alternatives blah blah blah.

But my real issue is with the enormous amount CPU power it hogs to render graphic or data intensive web pages...

Doesn't this happen to anyone else?

Go to such a site and you'll find that scrolling down, switching tabs, etc., is very unresponsive (especially if you're on an older generation Mac like mine)... often you'll beachball and have to Force Quit. It's extremely frustrating!

What irks me is the lightning-fast web browsing I experience every time I hop on a Windows machine and use Internet Explorer... It just can't be.

25. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

I'm going to switch back to Webkit when they fix the text box bug.

On yours, are you able to scroll with the mouseball in a text box?

I reported the bug several times and they haven't done squat to fix it.