Safari keeps logging me out of Facebook

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Bethany-Wings, Dec 22, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

It never did this with Netscape or Firefox, and from what I've heard, it doesn't do it with my friend, who uses Safari all the time. I have Safari set up so it automatically fills in forms AND accepts cookies from any site, and it STILL logs me out suddenly in about a minute. How can I keep myself logged in all the time, like it's SUPPOSED to? Help!?

2. macrumors 68040

what version of safari are you using?

i used to get the same problem but for a few months now its been fine.. i'm all updated to the safari v3.2.1 and no problems here..

have you tried clearing your cache/cookies and starting again?

3. thread starter macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

Surprisingly, I'm using Safari 3.2.1. Also, I tried all that you told me to do, and it STILL won't keep me logged in. I even tried to restart Safari with all the changes, and nothing. Why is this not working for me? Why is it just Facebook? And...also, I'm even selecting the option of "remember me" just before I log in. :(

4. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Do you have private browsing on? Facebook doesn't like that.

5. macrumors 6502

I get this, except if I'm active I'm OK but then if like in 15 minutes I come back to it, it will ask me to login again even though I clicked 'Remember Me'. Bebo doesn't have any problems with the remember me function so I don't know what the problem is.

6. macrumors G3

Kilamite

Try resetting Safari (clear everything, cookies etc).

Although Facebook is really quite buggy. When I log in, I have to log in twice because the first time it says my password or email is incorrect (even though its an autofill). I have to just press enter and then it logs me in.

Seen other various glitches in Facebook, especially the home page.

7. macrumors newbie

I was having this problem as well, and seem to have hopefully resolved it, at least for the time being. I followed the procedure they presented when there were sync issues with safari bookmarks and .Mac (at the time)

Resolution

1. Quit Safari 3.2.1

2. Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities).

3. Type or paste the following command in Terminal:
    defaults delete com.apple.safari RegisteredSafariSyncClient

4. Open Safari 3.1 again.

EDIT
    I spoke too soon. After more googling, it seems that there are login issues if you're also using 3rd party applications like Adium to connect to facebook chat, which I have also confirmed. If you cease connecting to facebook through Adium, the problem should cease.

8. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I had the problem of Safari logging me out all the time too; until recently I reinstalled Safari, and it stopped.

I also use Adium lol. :D

9. macrumors 6502

I've done the update to 10.5.6, and my Safari still says it's Safari 3.2, and Software update doesn't give me an option to download 3.2.1. :confused:

10. macrumors newbie

same problem -- big safari bug?

using OSX 10.5.6 and Safari 3.2.1 I found the browser was more or less randomly deleting and reviving cookies. So I'd be logged out of sites while on them, and then suddenly logged back in when I'd logged out. Very creepy. I reinstalled Safari, but same problem. Now I'm using Firefox, reluctantly, and investigating Camino. This Safari is just NOT SAFE.

11. macrumors newbie

It's Adium. I've been going through the same thing. When Safari and Adium are running at the same time, one logs the other out of Facebook. You can hear Aduim disconnect and then re-connect when you browse to Facebook in Safari.

12. macrumors newbie

bmonzing

Adium Says:

http://trac.adiumx.com/ticket/11355

13. macrumors member

I am having the same problem after updating to OSX 10.5.6. I am not sure what broke but facebook specifically logs me out within seconds of login. Its quite a pain.

14. macrumors regular

The same thing was happening to me, then I realized it was because I had adium running facebook messenger. When I closed out of adium it worked great... If you guys are running adium with facebook messenger thats probably it

15. macrumors 6502

cookies deleting themselves?

I have been experiencing a similar problem, but it's not limited to just Facebook. I have the latest OSX and the latest Safari. I know how to reset Safari and I have attempted this. I frequent a number of websites where I have to login and I have the website remember who I am so I don't to type in my username and password everytime. I'm pretty sure this is accomplished via a cookie. So, I find it odd when all by itself it's as if Safari has cleared out the cookies cause all of my regular websites have forgotten who I am. I know this will happen whenever I reset, so with it occurs when I didn't ask for it, I find it rather odd. I would estimate that this has been happening in past couple of months. Previously I hadn't had such problems.

What should I do - get virus protection software and see if I've been infected with something?

16. macrumors 68000

I concur with everyone who said it was Adium-happened to me for a while until i realized that I need to disable facebook chat in adium. I really dont think that the problem is with cookies or anything like that

To paulold-

make sure that you do not have Private Browsing enabled. Also, have you tried this in firefox?

17. macrumors 6502a

In case anyone is still having problems, I just figured it out yesterday. Macfixit reports the solution is disable webclip widgets and remake them. It should fix the cookie problem - it did for me.

18. macrumors member

interesting. i assume you are referring to the Safari Dashboard widgets.

19. macrumors regular

I think it's just ones you make yourself using the webclip facility in Safari.

I had a mixture of webclips and standard widgets in my Dashboard and would keep getting logged out of various websites (not Facebook, since i don't use it). After deleting the webclips but leaving the standard widgets i no longer get logged out.

10.5.6 definitely broke something in the way that cookies are handled.

20. macrumors 6502

I did not have private browsing turned on, but I do have a webclip widget. Come to think of it, I rarely use my widgets but lately I have been accidently hitting the F12 key, which opens my dashboard. I think it's definitely worth a try to delete the widget. The frequency of my problem seems to correspond with the number of times I've hit that key.

21. macrumors 6502a

Correct. Seems to be a pretty big oversight on Apple's developers' part.

22. macrumors 65816

AlexisV

This is driving me mad.

I have had to delete all my webclip widgets because they cause me to become logged out of all forums.

I've tried resetting Safari, but it makes no difference.

No webclips = everything works fine
    Webclips = can't stay logged into forums

This is an obvious 10.5.6 bug.

23. macrumors newbie

I have this problem, and I don't have Adium or Dashboard widgets...

I never should have installed 10.5.6. This is just one out of a ridiculous amount of problems I've been having lately. It's like the Plagues of Egypt hitting my Mac over and over and over...

24. macrumors 6502

Just an update - I deleted my webclip (that was of the headlines of cnn.com) and haven't had a problem with my cookies since. So if that did the trick, thanks for helping me out!

25. macrumors newbie

Same problem here (OSX 10.5.6 Safari 3.2.1). It happens on Facebook and Flickr for me. I do not use Adium, webclips or any other non-standard dashboard widgets. Tried resetting Safari, didn't help.