Safari load time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Applexilef, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Applexilef macrumors regular

Hey guys, quick problem here:

I'm running Mac OS X- Panther and I use Safari to browse the internet and such. Lately, every time I open the program it takes a enormous amount of time to start up, last time I timed it at 28 seconds to start. This usually wasn't the case...

I've repaired permissions, cleaned up, reset safari, and nothing. It still takes forever. Even as I type this there is a microsecond delay between my pressing of a letter key and it's actual appearance on the keyboard. I have a 1 Ghz with 384MB of RAM, I should not have any performance problems since I'm using the same software that came loaded on the computer when I bought it.

Once the program is open, I can easily open up new windows and such, the problem is specifically when I start up the program after quitting/boot up.

Can anyone help? It's pissing me off

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

have you tried to delete the safari preferences from your comp?

3. Applexilef thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure what you're talking about, can you please specify?

I went to the preference section but couldn't find anything related to your comment

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In Username/Library/Preferences look for a file called com.apple.Safari.plist and delete it.

5. Applexilef thread starter macrumors regular

I just deleted that file and it still takes a long time. Any other suggestions?

Also, may I ask how long does it take your safari to boot up?

6. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Well my Safari takes no longer than 2 to 4 seconds at the most but I am running Tiger which gives Safari a major speed boost in just about every way.

7. 173080 macrumors 6502

I have a similar problem. Safari takes an awfully long time to open and every time I click on a link I get a beachball for 3-5 seconds. If I open a tab in the background I get a beachball for 7-10 seconds or until the page is loaded.

I've tried deleting the preferences, resetting Safari, and even an Archive and Install and the problem persists. I'm running Tiger on a PowerBook. I had the problem in Panther and it stayed even after I upgraded to Tiger.

:confused:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Safari's caches might be corrupted. To test this, delete the Safari folder in Username/Library/Caches and the Icons folder in Username/Library/Safari. Does Safari have any other cache folders that I'm forgetting about (one possibility is a folder called com.apple.Safari in Username/Library/Caches)?

10. Applexilef thread starter macrumors regular

WOW! What a change! The icon bounced only once before the program opened. Does your suggestion apply to any other program? or is it just Safari specific?

Thanks a lot!

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, it applies to any other program that has cache files in the caches folder.

12. 173080 macrumors 6502

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

NICE - I was wondering this very thing.... and now problem solved :) GROUP HUG :D

14. carolmunyua macrumors newbie

wonderful! this solved the issue.

too happy for finding this answer. Solution provided solved my very slow Safari loading issue.

Group Hugs!!:)

15. tiredof macrumors newbie

Same Issue

but I am running Mountain Lion OS 10.8.5

There is no Safari under Caches and no Icons under Safari. Is there another location or folder to check?

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The folder is probably called com.apple.Safari now.