Safari "Look-A-Like" ???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thechris69, Jul 24, 2006.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Safari is a great browser, but there are several faster browsers such as Opera or Firefox. However, since safari is a apple program, its just so damn nice and user friendly... does anyone know of any faster browsers that look identical or similar to safari?

2. jnagel macrumors newbie

In all reality I think Firefox performs slower than Safari on a consistent basis. However, there is Camino, which uses the same rendering engine as Firefox but uses Cocoa to generate its GUI. It's essentially Firefox, only OS X-ized.

http://www.caminobrowser.org

I would guess it performs about the same as Safari, but you may like it better. I use it exclusively although I have Firefox installed.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Shiira 2.0 (in a public, Japenese beta) looks an awful lot like Safari, though I've never used it and can't attest to its speed. See its adherents and detractors discuss it here.

You can download the more tested Shiira 1.2 (which I also haven't used, though its look (and its rendering engine) are Safariish) here.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I saw a post on this forum somewhere that linked to an article testing speed between the major Mac browser's, Opera, Firefox, Camino, and Safari. Safari held it's own very well. You may try the search option. I would do it for you, but I've been applying my signature today, a lot!

6. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

According to this article, Safari is faster than Firefox.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Different benchmarks of browser speed yield conflicting results. This means that your browser's speed is as much a function of your particular setup as it is a function of the quality of the browsers' code. On my setup, there is not enough of a speed difference among my twelve browsers to make that a consideration.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Camino is the most Apple-like browser I've tried. However, it was designed before Apple introduced the Brushed Metal look, so it doesn't look exactly like Safari. Haven't checked the latest builds however.

10. iEric macrumors 6502a

i think you should stick with safari.

it looks consistent with the OS X skin and it is a very fast browser. who cares if another browser shaves 2 or 3 seconds off if it's ugly.

11. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I have been going between safari, camino and firefox for a while now, and I dont really have a preference, speeds feel the same, but somehow firefox just feels more solid, ok so it doesnt look so good but I have never had a single problem on any website and with the interface hacks the pages themselves looks a lot like they do on safari.... so I guess im a firefox man!

12. Daz macrumors newbie

You can get a Firefox Safari theme which isn't that far off.. but, it doesn't look identical.

13. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

thechris69

do you have a link for this?

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

here.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try the nightly Webkit (Safari) builds. Much snappier than Safari and with fewer bugs(!). This is now my backup browser (after Bon Echo 2.0a3).

16. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Well, I've decided to give Opera a whirl. It's been sitting around for a while and they just released version 9 (I think). So far, it's a great browser, but not really as fast as safari and I hate the RSS reader - but then firefox, imho, has the best rss capabilities. The skins are nice though, and there's one with a brushed metal look which I'm using with an indigo tinge!

yt

17. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

When I try to use Webkit nightlies, I get this error:

WebKit failed to open correctly on your previous attempt. Please disable any Safari extensions that you may have installed. If the problem continues to occur, please file a bug report at http://webkit.opendarwin.org/quality/reporting.html

Can anyone help me with this?

18. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

my vote is also for camino. i find it to be faster (fact) and nicer looking (opinion) than safari. i've also used firefox, which i've had perform faster than safari, but not enough to warrant a switch.

nobody wants to suggest IE? (kidding, of course)

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I use the AquaFox theme on Firefox for all the OSs I use (Mac, Windows and Linux). It's simple, avoids the overused brushed metal look, and looks like a Mac application.

You can also theme Camino to look more like Safari, but it's more difficult, in that you need to manually copy image files into the Camino application directory.

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If what you are after is speed, get Web-Kit. It has nightly updates and is blazingly fast.

Firefox, fwiw, is very slow.

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you installed Saft or AcidSearch or similar...?

I had AcidSearch installed and needed to take one SIMBL folder out of ~/Library/Application Support/ (and put that in ~/Library/Application Support (Disabled)/) and another SIMBL folder in ~/Library/InputManagers/ (and put that in a new folder I made ~/Library/InputManagers (Disabled)/).

After I'd done that Webkit opened without any problems... :)

22. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I do have Saft installed, but it's spread out everywhere and I really like having it with Safari. I suppose I'll have to choose b/t Safari w/ Saft and Webkit

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I guess so... I ditched AcidSearch because I use Firefox as my main browser, and I have all my precious search engines there, while my AcidSearch engines was a bit dated... ;)

24. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

This isn't true, btw. Apple introduced the Brushed Metal look with the first version of OS X, but also wrote human-interface guidelines dictating that it should only be used for the equivalents of "real-world" items (calculator, address book, calendar). They then broke their own rule to make Safari brushed metal.

25. ericmjl macrumors member

12 browsers?!?!?!?!?!?!