Safari makes me angry

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gibson Les Paul, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Gibson Les Paul macrumors newbie

Gibson Les Paul

Hello,

I cant stand this issue with Safari. I use it as my main browser, and after a while, it begins to run very slow. It takes longer to start up, and takes long for it to quit. When I quit, I get the spinning beach ball for a while, then it finally quits. When I start it up, it bounces in the dock for a while, then it finally loads. To fix this issue, I have to delete the Icons folder in the library for Safari. After I delete it, everything runs very well, but then eventually it gets slow again. I have to keep doing this over and over to keep Safari running fine.

System specs. Powermac G4 400mhz upgraded to 1GHz processor, 768mb RAM, 18gb hard drive with over 5gb of space left. I have another 20gb hard drive, but that is for backup, so is my 5gb partition and external 40gb hard drive.

Anyone know why I have to keep doing this for Safari to continue working properly?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Doesn't address your specific question-- but I just swap between Camino and Safari; if either one misbehaves, I go to the other. It is annoying, but I think it's impressive that you've found even a temporary solution.

er... Where is this 'icons folder' you speak of? :eek:

3. Gibson Les Paul thread starter macrumors newbie

Gibson Les Paul

Users/Library/Safari

The icons folder is in there. When you delete it, its full of junk. As soon as you launch Safari, it runs very well.

I was never fond of Camino. I use FireFox from time to time, but I'm not very fond of it either.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This happens to me occasionally but I don't get rid of the icons.

Instead, I go into preferences and check that I'm not asking Safari to remember the contents of every form (or at least delete some of them). Seems to make a big difference in speed...

5. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Possibly a stupid suggestion:

What if you could put some kind of lock or lack of write permission on the Icons folder so that it could never fill up with junk? :confused: :cool:

6. Gibson Les Paul thread starter macrumors newbie

Gibson Les Paul

I've done that long ago. It does make a difference in speed, but it doesn't keep Safari from running slowly eventually.

7. Gibson Les Paul thread starter macrumors newbie

Gibson Les Paul

If you dig around in the Icons folder, it is full of folders. Inside of the folders are more folders. Inside the other folders are items called "2399797824-3347302104.cache"

It seems that these files are what are causing Safari to run slowly. Also, emptying the cache doesn't solve this issue.

8. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

No offense but what did that have to do with what I said?

If you could somehow restrict write access on that folder, none of those other folders could be placed there at all.

9. Gibson Les Paul thread starter macrumors newbie

Gibson Les Paul

It didn't. I obviously hit the wrong reply button. I was letting others know what is in the Icons folder. Not sure why I would even take offense to your reply.

I tried your suggestion. If you put No access, your bookmarks will be removed from your Safari window. You put read only, the icons folder still comes back.

10. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Wanted to make sure I wasn't coming off as a jerk. :)

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I just reset Safari. It's probably overkill but it gets things running smoothly again. One of my biggest problems with Safari is that it sometimes starts getting a bit sloppy when it comes to highlighting links I've already been to. It gets pretty frustrating clicking on links only to realise I'd just been there. :(

12. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Have you tried using Private Browsing?

13. Gibson Les Paul thread starter macrumors newbie

Gibson Les Paul

Yes, does not work. This is an issue that Apple has to fix. It is irritating.

14. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

safari bites plain and simple. ive cleaned the cache and done every trick in the book and still its crap. internet did kill the mac back in the day and now its the browser that is finishing the job

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Buddha says, "The only thing to make you angry, is you."

ps. I love Safari. All is good in the world.

16. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

All you have to do is make the folder read only. You can more than likely do this in the get info dialog but even from the command line using chmod (do man chmod for information).

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

At this moment in time the release version of Safari is full of memory leaks, unoptimised code and other bad stuff! If you don't mind living on the bleeding edge build your own WebKit. It's much faster and does not slow down nearly as badly!

Memory Leaks Update
    Getting WebKit

18. nostrum macrumors member

I've ditched Safari and started using Firefox 1.5 beta. Much better and it doesn't take forever to shut.

19. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

OS/X is so great....and we have to put up with this ineptness? What gives? You think they would be able to put a browser together that would be sufficient for daily use, instead of 'swapping from one browser to another". Highly unacceptable for an OS as good as this is.

20. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'd say a lot of the problems stem from IE and the way it doesn't actually comply to any standards except it's own. Therefore both Safari and Firefox have to find ways to try and do things similarily, leading to problems. Anyway its only getting better.

And personally, i'd prefer a "slow" browser like safari instead of a "gives you tonnes of viruses and adware" browser like IE :)