Safari & Microsoft Exchange Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mason, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Mason macrumors regular

Whenever I try to access my school email account through the Microsoft Exchange Server, Safari never seems to work. After the initial prompt for my user name another prompt comes up for both my user name and password. When I enter the information nothing happens, and I get prompted to enter my password and username again.

Is there some setting in Safari I can change to get this to work or am I just going to have to use IE to access it?

(I've tried using MS Entourage set up to access my account, but the wizard doesn't work).

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

2. rvance macrumors newbie

I've had the same problems. My IT department tells me to use IE 5, despite the fact that IE isn't being developed any more for the Mac. Needless to say, I find this response more than a little annoying.

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Maybe the site is expecting you to enter in a Windows domain name? Do you know what the Windows domain name is for your network? If your domain name is mydomain and your username is myusername, then try entering in:

mydomain/myusername in the username box.

I know this works when logging into Windows FTP servers, I'm not sure about Exchange servers...

4. swb62 macrumors newbie

Microsoft Exchange

I have had exactly the same issue, the only way around it is to use Firefox ( this works fine)

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I assume you're trying to use Outlook Web Access. This DOES work via Safari (or Firefox, or whatever), you just lose some of the IE-only extras (which is no big loss, frankly).

Firstly, you'll need to find out whether your network admins require http over ssl (which is normal - URL begins with https://).

The address will be something like: https://mail.domain.com/owa

Once there, enter the local domain name (usually all caps) followed by a backslash then your short user name: i.e. LOCAL/myusername

If they've set things up to use ssl (which, as I said, is normal practice), you may be able to access the OWA site without it (weird, but possible), but will not be able to log in.

IF your admins have any clue what they're doing, the above should work. There are some minor variables dependent on which version of Exchange they run and whether they've got it set up correctly (you'd be amazed at how many installations I've seen that have not been configured properly).

You should also be able to connect via Mail.app without major difficulties - your network admin should be able to give you the settings.

For what it's worth I work as the systems admin for an organisation that runs Exchange (which I'm responsible for configuring). I use Macs almost exclusively to access these servers without problems of any kind (in fact, I have a Safari window open to outlook web access right now), so it CAN be done, provided your network folks actually know what they are doing and provide the info you need.