Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Okay, here I am to revive this now almost-defunct argument.

I'm using Safari 4, which is great, now that it has its own "new tab" button in the upper-right corner. But let me tell you something: It is not good enough.

i think its a backward development from safari 3.x regarding this issue.

it not only move the new tab button to such a small corner and not easy to reach, it removed the function of double click on tabbar to open new tab.

especially on windows, its quite close to other buttons such as "close the app"!

yeah, cmd/ctl+T is working, hack is working, but for the function itself, definitely need a better design on that tab/title bar.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
i think its a backward development from safari 3.x regarding this issue.

it not only move the new tab button to such a small corner and not easy to reach, it removed the function of double click on tabbar to open new tab.

especially on windows, its quite close to other buttons such as "close the app"!

yeah, cmd/ctl+T is working, hack is working, but for the function itself, definitely need a better design on that tab/title bar.

Very true. On a Mac, the important stuff is always on the left: Apple menu, close button, Dock Finder icon, etc. In web browsing, it's the same way: back/forward buttons, bookmarks, etc. So with a feature so simple and requested as a "new tab" button, it would make sense to have it on the most actively used side of the window.

Until that day comes (and maybe it will, we're in beta, after all), I'm going to keep trying to hack the software to keep that button on the left.

jBoor

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
Open Safari. Click on View, Customize Toolbar. From there you can drag the "New Tab" button to the toolbar, and put it anywhere you like!

Enjoy.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Open Safari. Click on View, Customize Toolbar. From there you can drag the "New Tab" button to the toolbar, and put it anywhere you like!

Enjoy.
Thread is approaching 2 years old and this solution has already been posted.

Distearth

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
Easy peeps

Thread is approaching 2 years old and this solution has already been posted.

The New Tab Button was for 3.0 Safari 2 years ago. They have now added this feature. Duh. We know. No need to respond to a 2 year old post. Think first.
Don't post blind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.