Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
I can't believe safari only shows the top level domain now. This makes browsing through a website extremely difficult and disorienting. Am I the only one? Any way to get this back??

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can't believe safari only shows the top level domain now. This makes browsing through a website extremely difficult and disorienting. Am I the only one? Any way to get this back??
if you click into the address bar you will see the full URL.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
Yes but it is not persistent. Even worse it covers the whole page with my bookmarks. Knowing what exactly is loading is critical. Is it a large PDF? Is it a PHP script? It doesn't even give the title of the page, so you have no idea if you're going to the page you wanted. What if you miss-tap a link and it goes to the wrong page? Before you knew instantly in iOS 6 and could just hit back. Now there's no indication.

This should really be an option at the least, but I can't imagine why it's better to NOT see the URL of the page you're on. I love iOS 7 but this seems like a huge step backwards, especially on the iPad.

Safari on iOS 6 gave you the page title AND the full URL in a persistent view. This is how web browsing has always worked, and not having EITHER of these critical pieces of information is bizarre to me. At least give us one or the other...

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe as far as bookmarks you can at least move those around into folders or something like that.

As for the title I noticed that if you go to the tabbed view (at least on the iPhone) you get page titles there.

That aside I guess there are also other alternatives like Chrome.

Of course that's not to say that this is good or shouldn't be changed, but until that might happen there are really only some workarounds and/or alternatives (that are certainly still not the same).

Kinin2020

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
I personally like the new behavior, though i see and get the negative sides. Will see how it improves in next versions.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
I believe as far as bookmarks you can at least move those around into folders or something like that.

As for the title I noticed that if you go to the tabbed view (at least on the iPhone) you get page titles there.

That aside I guess there are also other alternatives like Chrome.

Of course that's not to say that this is good or shouldn't be changed, but until that might happen there are really only some workarounds and/or alternatives (that are certainly still not the same).

It's always a workaround with Apple, why can't they make simple things just... Simple without complications and complexity? Ha, don't mean to rant this on you :p just saying.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I don't like it either. Safari on the iPad looks like the entire page has been zoomed in.. And no longer matches my MBP. I'm still not liking to type a search in the URL window. It doesn't search like the side search engine did before. This is time tasking for someone who uses their Mac or iOS device to search.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Shortening makes sense for 80 % of users. Apple ALWAYS caters for needs of 80 % of their users. For special cases and needs, there are alternatives. In this case, you can use Chrome, iCab or many other browsers. Yes, I know there are all kinds of catches, but that's how Apple always rolls.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
I know Apple caters to the 80% of general consumers. I just find it hard to believe that 80% of people don't want to see the full URL or at least the TITLE of the page they're visiting.

I really hope they fix this in an iOS 7 update. I do like how the interface fades away when viewing sites, but there is still plenty of room for a full URL or at least a page title. It really would make web browsing much easier. Having to tap twice on the address bar or twice at the bottom to switch to the tab view to see the page title is just cumbersome.

Maybe I am in the minority here, it just seems surprising that this doesn't bug other people.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I know Apple caters to the 80% of general consumers. I just find it hard to believe that 80% of people don't want to see the full URL or at least the TITLE of the page they're visiting.

I really hope they fix this in an iOS 7 update. I do like how the interface fades away when viewing sites, but there is still plenty of room for a full URL or at least a page title. It really would make web browsing much easier. Having to tap twice on the address bar or twice at the bottom to switch to the tab view to see the page title is just cumbersome.

Maybe I am in the minority here, it just seems surprising that this doesn't bug other people.
More like the non-technical majority doesn't even really care or notice it unfortunately.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
THE OUTRAGE! That's it, Apple has lost me as a customer!!

Seriously though... The things people complain about with apple. I can never tell if these posts are a joke, or serious folk who are just way too damn picky. Makes me wonder why they even buy Apple products. (Or would they be the same with Android/Windows?).

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

I would say that 90% of the people don't even know what a URL is or the difference between a PDF or PHP script. They just care what is on the screen. If it isn't what they want, they will just go back.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
I would say that 90% of the people don't even know what a URL is or the difference between a PDF or PHP script. They just care what is on the screen. If it isn't what they want, they will just go back.

It is very important to show URL address he browser is loading, because the safety issue. It is always possible that a website contains script that will redirect you to potential rouge site. Those rouge sites always pretending to use legit URL but it is actually not legit, for example, http://www.micrsoft.com instead of legit http://www.microsoft.com.

So it is extremely important to show URL address to users, because users can prevent their browser redirect to rouge,

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
THE OUTRAGE! That's it, Apple has lost me as a customer!!

Seriously though... The things people complain about with apple. I can never tell if these posts are a joke, or serious folk who are just way too damn picky. Makes me wonder why they even buy Apple products. (Or would they be the same with Android/Windows?).
It's a valid observation and lack of provided information. It might be by design, but it doesn't mean that they design is a good one, or as best as it can be. There might have been some trade-offs that had to be made for the design, and this might be one of them. But, again, that doesn't make it any less of an observation.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
It is very important to show URL address he browser is loading, because the safety issue. It is always possible that a website contains script that will redirect you to potential rouge site. Those rouge sites always pretending to use legit URL but it is actually not legit, for example, http://www.micrsoft.com instead of legit http://www.microsoft.com.

So it is extremely important to show URL address to users, because users can prevent their browser redirect to rouge,

Knowing how much you seem to champion Google over Apple you may want to write an e-mail to Google because Chrome mobile does the same thing.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
so use a different browser..???

Jesus some people are so helpless, I have to wonder if some of you can go to the bathroom without someone holding your hands.

You complain about every little thing as if there are not options.

If you don't like apple maps, DON'T USE THEM.

you don't like the new calendar, DOWNLOAD A NEW ONE.

you don't like the new safari, USE A DIFFERENT BROWSER.

you don't like the weather app, THERE ARE PLENTY MORE ON THE APP STORE.

I mean, not to be mean... but, help yourself once and a while, jesus.

Knowing how much you seem to champion Google over Apple you may want to write an e-mail to Google because Chrome mobile does the same thing.

i get the entire url in chrome, idk what you mean here?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Jesus some people are so helpless, I have to wonder if some of you can go to the bathroom without someone holding your hands.

The URL disappears as soon as you start moving around on the page. It auto-hides just like Safari does.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

Please help, I'm helpless. How do I make all of these replacement apps the default apps for easy integration with the rest of the OS? And how do I get rid of the Apple app that was replaced?

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013

I will not email to Google,because it does not do the same. Here is the proof:

Screenshot_2013-09-30-22-40-33_zps34eb8871.png

image_zps97c7c921.jpg

You see, both Android version on Nexus 7 and iOS 7 version on iPad 3 still show you full URL.

However, on Safari

image_zpsf4360bf5.jpg

It only show you shorten URL, full URL is hidden away

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Agree with OP - on the iPad I'd prefer to see the full URL. At least throw an option into safari settings to toggle on/off. It's not maddening but it's not the best either.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Please help, I'm helpless. How do I make all of these replacement apps the default apps for easy integration with the rest of the OS? And how do I get rid of the Apple app that was replaced?

Short answer is: you cannot change default app and you cannot get rid of Apple app.

Long answer is: welcome to Apple's locked down system where everything is locked for you. Since we users are idiot and do not know what is right, Apple makes the decision for you. Sorry, you cannot do anything you described. Unless you jailbreak iOS. So, you need wait for iOS 7 jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.