Safari not showing pages correctly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jknight8907, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I've been having a problem with Safari not showing pages correctly. On some webpages with a lot of text, multiple lines of text will be on top of each other, or frames will be off to the side, and other stuff like that.

How can I fix this?

thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Before I tell you to reset Safari from the Safari menu, please give us a link to one of these sites and maybe a screen shot to see whether it's the same for all Safari versions, or just yours. :)

3. dshootist macrumors member

Wtf

he's actually not the only one. use both Safari 1.3.1 and Camino 0.8.4 and getting really slow responses and garbled pages from both. i ran Norton on my G4 AI (10.3.9) and things have gotten better, but i'll still run up against a few odd pages that are screwed up. www.photo.net, www.imdb.com and www.sportsshooter.com are three that i can name off the top of my head.:confused:

4. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Yeah, those that he just listed are messed up for me, along with a few forums, some of the tamug.edu site, just to name a few. I actually have reset Safari with no effect on the text problems.

And, I just remembered a problem too: Some pages that I know have stuff on them (cross-checked on a windows box running firefox) show up with just a heading, or nothing at all. :confused:

5. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

This last upgrade

You know, I'm actually having the same problem with my own site. I have GoDaddy forwarding to my .Mac account. It's always worked great, but now Safari (and only Safari) isn't accepting the forward and displays a blank page!!!

The page itself works (if I do the http://homepage.... instead of the domain name), but the forward process doesn't.

So, what exactly does "reset" do? Will it remove all your bookmarks? (Easy enough to put back thank to .Mac, but I just want to know beforehand).

Thanks!

6. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I know it will remove all cache settings, logins, everything such as that, but I'm not sure about bookmarks. Probably though, as it puts it back to standard.

7. dshootist macrumors member

your bookmarks should be safe. however, this still leaves the whole appearance problem with Safari. sometimes even the Apple site (www.apple.com) won't load properly and i'll just have the text from the bottom of the screen w/ no images—not even the red x box. also note that i've run Internet Cleanup and Spyware apps to "clean" my caches, not to mention Cocktail to take care of any HD or permission issues... any more ideas?:confused:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is it the same site listed in your profile (xmoose)? It works for me in Safari 2.0.2 :confused:

10. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Your domain name doesn't work for me either, and I'm having a big problem with safari.

It all started yesterday though, strangely enough.

Your site, I just get white. I have reset safari, cleared cache, repaired permissions... nothing is working.

Most sites load quickly and perfectly, BUT MacRumors loads slooow....

Some web articles that I had saved on my desktop, won't display the article now, just the ads:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm having problems with http://www.apogeephoto.com/june2000/InOut.shtml this site and that particular article I had saved last week from the menu as a web archive and checked it (it was all there and looking normal), yet now it is a white page and just ads:confused:

Macbytes also shows no articles :confused:

Anyone out there that can help?

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are sites that don't render correctly, but this just doesn't sound right. IMDB and Macbytes both work fine for me. I'm sure Macbytes works fine for many, many Safari users.

So there is something wrong.... :(

Hmmm...do you have a custom .css file? (Prefs -> Advanced -> Style Sheet at the bottom)? Are you using an ad blocker? Can you try re-installing Flash? Those would be my top three guesses....

12. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Weird - that's all I have to say.

Huh. That's the one. As the poster below writes, I get a big white screen - both on my home and work computers - both using Safari 2.0.2.

And, until this last update, it worked just fine on both.

WEIRD!

;)

13. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I reinstalled flash and checked for the .css file and there was none. No adblockers or 3rd party plugins.

The WORST part is that MacRumors loads so slow suddenly. It will load 3/4 of the page quickly and then I have to wait about 5 minutes for it to finally finish loading the page.:confused:

14. devman macrumors 65816

devman

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/05/12/08/236246.shtml?tid=177&tid=95

15. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

My problem, I think, is on my computer. I don't know how to go about fixing it. I think that is is just really, really slow.

Macrumors page (forum, not front page) to load = about 10 minutes
    Macbytes and apogeephoto WILL load for me it turns out, but load time = 25 minutes.

That is including the pages I saved on my hard drive as a web archive, which safari opens.

Any ideas?

16. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Thanks for the link!

Dev - thanks for the link!!! It's great to see that it's not just me and that both Apple and GoDaddy are aware of the problem, despite the fact that neither seems interested in determining where the problem is.

At least I know it's nothing I did. ;)

Thanks!

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I can report that the problem isn't limited to GoDaddy. I'm experiencing the same issue with domain forwarding/masking from a similar service called MyDomainRunner. The odd part is, some days it works properly, and other days I get the blank page.