iPad Safari on iPad 4 SLOW after iOS 7 update....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dantracht, Sep 19, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Anyone else notice how slow safari is on iPad 4 after the iOS 7 update? It's laggy to the point of being unusable.

I closed the app, did a hard reboot, to no avail. Typing anything in the search window is SLOW.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 6502a

Strange, on my iPad 2, it's fast and fluid.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Not on my 4. It's so slow. Can't type anything, it lags and lags.

4. macrumors 6502

Tsepz

Perfectly fine on my iPad 4, fast, fluid and smooth, I'm using it to browse hear and type this reply with no issue at all, with Safari.

5. macrumors regular

Yes its slow

I feel like I'm back in 2003 with an old PowerMac G4. Little, if anything, is instantaneous.

I think its all the transitions and "pretty-ware".

6. macrumors 6502a

Mine seems to be ok with small lags and stutters here and there!
    It seems strange that we would experience lags on their flagship ipad, maybe they spent all this time optimizing it for the yet to be announced ipad 5. Now that would be seriously annoying!

7. macrumors member

Works great on my 3rd gen

8. macrumors 6502a

Go figure...

9. macrumors newbie

Safari hasn't slowed on my iPad 4. The only "issues" noticed so far, the wallpaper change is slow, and the hand gesture to return to the homescreen is a little jerky.

10. macrumors 65816

Velin

Sounds like you should do a factory reset and clean install. It will remove all prior versions and be a nice clean install. Did it with my iPad 3, it was big improvement.

11. macrumors newbie

How would I do this? Connect to iTunes and return to factory settings and treat it like a new iPad? I'm assuming I wouldn't restore from a backup. Is that correct?

12. macrumors 65816

Velin

Correct. Factory reset, clean install ios7, no backups, treat it like new iPad. It may make a noticeable difference. It did on my 3.

13. macrumors 6502a

Could be placebo effect?

14. macrumors 65816

Velin

Methinks you don't know the meaning of "placebo." In any event, read.

15. macrumors 6502a

Totally agree. My iPad 2 almost feels like a new tablet. Still getting the 5 though!

16. macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Fast and smooth on my iPad 3 too! No need for a clean install here.

17. macrumors newbie

rufinus

Upgraded yesterday my Ipad 3 from iOS 6. Just for curiosity, as after reading the net i have expected lags and stattering. Wanted to do afterwards clean install, but so far turnes out it is not necessary. There is maybe some very slight lag here and there, just on the edje of recognition, and not always.
    Feels kind of like good Android. Surely, there is room for improvement.

Wallpaper changing bug is there and reprodusable.

If Apple optimizes iOS 7 still a bit in future updates, will be perfect (except icons and colours, IMHO).

18. macrumors newbie

Safari unusable. IPad 2

Upgraded this evening and Safari is unusable with the lag
    Atomic Browser works great. Normal speed.
    Apple had better come up with a fix for Safari FAST!

19. macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I've noticed lag on my iPad 4 as well. It's noticeable when scrolling between home screens, typing quickly and scrolling in Safari. It's quite annoying given the supposed strength of the A6X processor and the graphics processor Apple kept going on about. Hopefully, future updates will improve iOS 7's optimization with the iPad, but at the moment, it's really irritating (even with all other applications manually closed).

20. macrumors 6502a

Mr. Buzzcut

Speed-wise, not bad on my 3 but somewhat crashy. I've had especially bad luck with searches on a page.

21. macrumors member

It's gotten to the point I've actually powered down my iPad 4 and put it away until there's an update that sorts these issues out....

I know it's early days yet and patience is a virtue but I've no virtues or patience with it right now!

22. macrumors regular

It comes to a point where i want to update but i remember your comment and settle down. Thanks. How has it been for you? Are issues still there?

23. macrumors newbie

Safari on IOS 7 slow fix

Good evening. Just verified a tip I got and confirmed it.

The favorites toolbar must not be activated, otherwise...it renders Safari unusable. I suspect this has to do with the amount of favorites each individual has, and I have a large amount of entries.

It went back to normal instantaneously, after I switched it off. I believe that Apple has to address this major bug, not documented yet.

I hope it works for everyone. I am almost sure it will, after trying just about ever other tip around.

24. macrumors member

Fank

bugs and other bugs

fmcouto -

Thanks for the tip;

Another possible cause for lag/slow performance in Safari after ios7 update has something to do with icloud backup - after shutting it off my ipad2 picked up speed in Safari - not perfect as it sometimes still lags, but a great improvement.

25. macrumors member

No problem.

I have recently started to use it again sparingly but there are definitely some lagging issues and kinks that don't trouble my iPhone as much.

Safari is definitely better on my iPhone 5 than it is my iPad 4.