Safari or Firefox

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crackrock, Dec 4, 2005.

1. crackrock macrumors member

Jul 20, 2004
    Cracktown, USA
  2. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    I occasionally use Safari at work, but I am a dedicated Firefox user. I would put them just about on a par at the moment, but due to Firefox's nature, the future looks to be heading their way. After all, it's cross platform and that can only be a good thing really.
  3. glosterseagul macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2004
    I have both; but I have the powerbook with the "two finger" scroll and on Firefox the querky scroll "back a page" if i don't scroll down straight it goes back to the prev page. can be very irritating :(

My bank now is compatible with Safari so just because of that safari edges it for me.

I would be interested in the fors and againsts tho ...
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
  5. slimflem macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2005
    it sounds like you are using an older version of FF. i also noticed this behavior on older 1.0.x versions. if you are using any of the 1.5 releases you should not notice this behavior. i love the double-finger scroll. Your fingers don't have to be exaclty lined up nor do you have to glide down in a exactly straight line.

I think Safari is great and the rendering speeds on pages seems to have gotten better. Now, I actually believe Safari renders pages faster than FF, but here are the few reasons that keep me from moving to Safari full time...

(these are grips, just things hard for me to get used to or either i don't know the alternative.)

Bookmarks: I can't seem to get used to having to open my bookmarks in a sidebar. I am too used to accessing them from a menu. it's faster. how do I get FF imported bookmarks to show in the main Bookmarks menu?

Cookies: I can't create exceptions for sites that I want to allow to set cookies. It's all or nothing. I want to turn cookies off and and add to a whitelist like you can do in FF.

Javascript: I would like to be able to disable Javascript in the same way I can in FF using the NoScript extension. There is also no way to control Javascript in a more granular level for you want and don't want to be done to the browser by sites.

Drag-able Tags: This doesn't seem to be available.

Google Home Page behavior: Clicking on section headers opens a new Safari window instead of new tab. In FF, these open in new tabs and key commmands allow controling the opening behavior better. Safari's key commands don't seem to have any affect on this page.

I know PithHelmet is supposed to give you more control over things, but I'm not seeing all that much extra that it provides. Are there any good tutorials for the Rules Editor?

Does anyone have answers on any of the things I posted about? Ways around or ways to do?
  6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    After the release of Firefox 1.5 I am seriously considering switching from Safari to Firefox. But there is one feature that I desperately need:

That little x button at the left of each tab's name that will allow me to close the tab! Firefox has this too, but not on every tab, but at the right of the window which closes the current tab, which means that I must first select the tab, then close it. That frustrates me. It is so simple, yet so important to me.
  7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I prefer Safari as I would like to sync all my Mac's bookmarks via .Mac. I wish Safari has a peference option in which you can make the manu areas smaller like Firefox does. I use ACD at home; but when I am out on the road and needs to use the notebook's smaller screen, the extra real estate on the viewing areas for web surfing comes in handy.
  8. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

Sep 5, 2005
    Safari seems to be doing it for me since 10.4.3 update.
  9. Xephian macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    United States
    I use a PC with Firefox but on my Mac I use Safari.
  10. mikey12784 macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2005
    im personally using firefox, i like it better, it seems a little faster and less ram intensive than safari, but i may be a little biased, i used FF on my PC's for years b4 i got a mac :)
  11. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
    You could just use the apple key and w at the same time to close the tab you are on or the entire window you are on.

Since the 1.5 update for Firefox, I have left Safari for the 'Fox.

Well see what the next Safari update brings.....:p
  12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    What a strange Web site, it counts all non-MSIE browsers as Firefox :p
  13. bursty macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2004
  14. banditf50 macrumors newbie

May 2, 2004
    Another vote for Camino here :) I recieved my first Mac, a 15 inch powerbook (the previous model), a week ago and I am already very impressed with Camino. Coming from being a Linux-only guy I figured that I would be using Firefox on my new powerbook, but it has been Camino all the way. Give it a try.
  15. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Well, Firefox has G4 and G5 optimized builds. Another reason for using them.... :)
  16. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

Jan 13, 2005
    It's always curious to see responses like this... a person asks a) b) c) or d) and someone has to answer e) !! Hahah... :eek:
  17. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2005
    the Netherlands
    Firefox since Phoenix 0.4 :p But I plan to use Flock as soon as they fix the bookmarks-bug.
  18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    I believe there is an extension for that. If I find it, I will post the link to it.

This one seems to have a lot of neat features.
  19. JessFactor macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2005
    Safari feels much smoother on a mac. The only thing that bugs me is the find feature. That is the one thing that Firefox smokes everyone in.
  20. Ari_0 macrumors regular

Jul 4, 2004
    Definately Safari, it is optimised for apple. Whereas Firefox reminds me too much of the cluncky, square microsoft IE. I did change the safari ICON to a Firefox one though :D
  21. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Oh gods, Firefox. Safari just doesn't work with my financial institutions, crashes on Java-heavy Web sites, crashes on Flash-heavy Web sites, and in general doesn't work correctly with enough pages I gave up on it at 10.4.

Waiting for the next release on this - I like Firefox enough that I'd consider making Camino my "full-time" browser once it evolves a little more.
  22. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    I don't know.

I'd use Firefox because it has MUCH better tab switching on multiple page loads. But I like Safari's scrolling performance better. So basically Safari pisses me off when loading pages, and Firefox pisses me off when reading them.

If anyone can tell me how to fix Firefox's scrolling so that it scrolls like Safari, or to fix multiple tab loading in Safari so that it behaves like Firefox, I'd be really grateful.
  23. mileslong macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    does anyone know of a way to add the ability to double click the tab bar to open up a new tab like in camino and safari??
  24. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2005
    the Netherlands