Safari page-loading errors

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Blue Velvet, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Over the past few days — maybe a week or longer — I've been getting lots (i.e. say, 1 in 5 attempts) of errors from links just on this site alone. Pages not loading, error messages such as the example below.

I'm not entirely sure what the exact cause is so I thought I'd post it here just in case anyone else is experiencing the same problem. I can't seem to replicate the problem with any other browser, or site or other forum with Safari.

Safari 2.0.3 — OS10.4.5 — 2gb RAM G4 1.42 dual

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...I've been getting a lot of these over the past few days. The initial click on a thread link gives the error message, but a reload always brings it up just fine. I've noticed once or twice in the past, but it's been happening to me a lot in the last few days on several different computers and internet connections.

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I've had this for a while (but probably not as frequently as you seem to be getting it) and I've kind of got used to it. A quick stab of Cmd-R usually makes it go away. Like you say, it is only MR, and only Safari, so I put it down to a slight incompatibility between the two - a bit like the text box error that was around a while back.

I think it has been mentioned before, but no-one really came up with a solution other than refresh then either. :confused:

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I have been getting more of this error. And only on this site. but refresh makes it work again

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the interests of the survey, put me on the end of the list. It's been happening for many months for me, but not terribly badly.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

The site has been extremely - sometimes excrutiantingly - slow the last few nights. I logged off last night it got so bad at one point.

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah, I've been having the issue for 2 or 3 months at least. But its pretty rare (considering how many times I load MR forum pages), maybe once or twice a day.

8. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Do you think I should report the bug to Apple and describe the pages on MR I was trying to load? ;)

9. iGary Guest

iGary

FWIW, I have never gotten an error page like you, but I have been having issues with the site...slowness.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

MacRumors has made some server changes. Any "growing pains" should now (or very very soon) be over.

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think I've noticed an improvement overt the last few days. I had been experiencing the same errors previously as well but they seem to be diminishing in frequency. :)

12. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

same here.

I also had a problem the other day where I couldn't load macrumors.com

i had to log onto forums.macrumors.com to get to it. But, besides that one event, and the error messages, I haven't had any other problems with the site.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

quick search appears to blame it on Safari accepting compressed content:

http://www.port80software.com/200ok/archive/2005/02/25/349.aspx

The text on this site is compressed (gziped) prior to sending to most browsers which support it. Safari included. I made a change in one of the settings to see if I was causing this problem.

Let me know if you still have problems after this moment.

thanks
    arn

14. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks Arn. Will do.

15. iGav macrumors G3

I get the same on the BBC News website all of the time.

16. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

17. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks but since the problem was addressed and solved here, I'll treat your post with the respect it deserves.

18. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

I'm just teasing ya... just wanted to point it out before somebody else (such as jsw of Doctor Q) did.

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Safari ----ppplllbbbzzzssstt....

(that's the sound of a tongue-stuck-out razzberry)

I got well and fed up with that program and decamped for Firefox.

Once in a long while, Firefox will misinterpret the headers or something and when linking to a post, displays raw code instead of the post. Once it starts, it seems to happen more and more. Quit and restart Firefox fixes it.

20. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Think that's rather unlikely somehow. Instructive that you might choose to somehow manage to compare them to yourself.

21. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.