Safari / PDF Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rspeaker, Aug 24, 2006.

1. rspeaker macrumors 6502

A few weeks ago I had to download a PDF file that Safari wouldn't open. I downloaded and installed Adobe Acrobat, opened the file, no big deal. But after installing that, PDF files would open within Safari using Acrobat, with tabs on the side and top and whatnot; it wasn't using the typical Safari method of simply opening the file. So I uninstalled Acrobat, and now online PDF files will not open. Perhaps the plugin was wiped out with Acrobat's removal?

I repaired permissions and restarted the computer, to no avail. I figure if I reinstall Safari, everything will be fine again, but I didn't really want to have to do that (mostly for the hassle of finding the files with bookmarks.) Anyone else heard of this before? Is there a less bothersome way than reinstalling Safari?

I've been at school and work (currently) all day, otherwise I'd just reinstall and be done... but I thought if there was an easier, less intrusive way... thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Safari doesn't handle PDF files on its own. That is done by the QuickTime Internet plug-in. When you installed Acrobat, you reassigned PDFs from QuickTime to Acrobat. All you have to do is reassign PDFs to QuickTime.

3. rspeaker thread starter macrumors 6502

How does one do that? I looked through preferences in both Safari and Quicktime... seems weird QT handles PDFs...

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Two things....

This should definitely work: Look in /library/internet plugins/ and ~/library/internet plugins/ -- one of them should have an acrobat plugin. Delete it.

This might work: System prefs -> Quicktime -> Advanced -> MIME Settings -> Expand "Images - Still image files" and click on PDF.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

What if you used a tool like TinkerTool and toggled the "Disable native support for display of PDF documents" check box in the Safari pane. Maybe that would reset it.

I installed Acrobat and then disabled the Safari plug-in and don't remember having any problems going back to built-in version...I wonder how I did it cleanly... :confused:

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not weird at all. QuickTime is the set of multimedia APIs and frameworks for MacOS X. PDF is a native graphics format for the OS. QuickTime handles PDF and all other native graphics formats.