Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Boston
What's the deal with Pop-ups (or Pop-unders for that matter) getting through Safari's Blocker? Has anyone noticed an increase in them getting through lately? It seems like I've experiencing an increase in Pop-ups...started with about 1 a month, and has gotten to be a couple a week, and sometimes once or twice a day. Certainly not nearly as many as with "Winblows" but definitely a bit of a concern.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, how annoying are they!

Apparently someone's worked on a way of getting round Safari and Firefox' pop-up blockers but thankfully only pop-unders can do this. It happened about the same time as 10.3.8 but most people see that as just coincidence. There should be an update for the pop-up blocking software soon-ish. I could be wrong but there might already be a fix for Firefox. There's more information on the forums if you wanna just do a search for it... :)

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I've noticed it looks like the only ones that are still getting through are the Vonage ads. probably just a coincidence, but the others seem to have stopped.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
REPOST

Not only is this a regular repost, it was on the Current events here and everything and on different sites...

Pop unders appeared more than Popups, etc... Safari + Firefox...

So, that would make this a:

!!!!!!!SUPER REPOST!!!!!!!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
it is a repost but it something that is annoying me, everyime i get one i send a bug report to apple with a screen shot and the URL (click more options) hopefully, i think i've done it about 12 times now, maybe by 20 or so they will get the point :rolleyes:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
puckhead193 said:
it is a repost but it something that is annoying me, everyime i get one i send a bug report to apple with a screen shot and the URL (click more options) hopefully, i think i've done it about 12 times now, maybe by 20 or so they will get the point :rolleyes:
I am quite sure that Apple knows about this. However, the villians in the piece are those among your favorite websites that use this new despicable practice. To those sites, email them and express your condemnation of the practice.

By enabling pop-up blocking, you made it clear that you are not the target market for such ads. Make it clear that you will avoid sites that use them and, more importantly, their advertising clients featured in the ads. If enough of us get those people to understand that block-skirting ads will actually cost them money rather than making more for them, they will disappear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.