Safari Popup blocker

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jtgotsjets, Jul 31, 2004.

1. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

I was looking through the preferences on Safari, and not only did I discover a tabbed browsing option, but a pop-up blocker.
    Now, aside from that single-handedly eliminating my temptation to get mozilla on this computer, I also wonder why they arent defaults.

But more importantly, the question:
    How well does the pop-up blocker work? Does it mostly just block ads and not what you need? And does it giver you a way to open up wrongly blocked pop-ups?
    I'm putting it up for now, but I was just curious.

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

The Safari pop-up blocker doesn't offer as many features as some do (like, as far as I know you can't just hold down Control or something while opening a page and that allows pop-ups to open)...though it does have a quick Cmd-K key combo to toggle so that's not a big deal.

I've always used Safari's pop-up blocker and it's always worked fine for me. I've hardly ever (if ever) had any pop-ups get through it, and only occasionally do I need to turn it off to make something come up.

3. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

I am so spoiled with Safari's good popup blocker that when I used my sisters Internet Explorer I couldn't believe how bad it has gotten on the web

4. raynegus macrumors regular

Safari's pop-up blocker has always worked great, even back when it was beta.

It is on by default, you must of had an old prefs file in there or something.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It works great. I think it's off by default because it would be rather presumptuous of Apple to assume you didn't want pop ups. Leave the telling you what to do to Microsoft, Real, and AOL--Apple lets you choose.

6. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

it works great, there are some occasions where something pops up that you want (like the main window of a website) and if safari chooses to block it then you can always switch it off for five minutes. I've found that it tends to block the pop ups that you don't click on, if you click a link it usually works even if it wants to ope in another window.