Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I'm on a 5K 27" iMac (late 2015) running OS 10.11.5

For a long time (dating back to my 2011 iMac), I noticed that the screen wouldn't stay off but would randomly turn back on and stay on. I would use the hot corner to turn off the screen and have energy settings set to allow screen to sleep. But I would walk by my office after watching a movie in another room only to see bright light under the door and find the iMac wide awake. It would also happen first thing in the morning. No screen burn in issues but really, really annoying.

At one point, I reinstalled the OS (I had used Migration Assistant when moving from the 2011 to 2015 iMac) but that didn't help the issue. I finally realized it was likely due to Safari (that was the only program open one night when it happened). Since then I have made sure to quit Safari when done with the iMac for the night and the screen has remained off.

I thought it might be an Extensions issue (I use 1Password, Evenote Web Clipper and Ghostery) but no idea how to confirm that.

Any ideas on how to fix this and/or find the underlying issue?

Thanks!

E

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.