Safari Problem After Tiger Upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MmmPancakes, Jun 3, 2005.

1. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Ever since I upgraded to Tiger, Safari no longer shows certain elements that I suspect are java. I re-installed java to no avail. Here's an example of the problem: the formatting template in the blogger.com interface doesn't appear in Safari, but appears in Firefox. Also, some menus don't appear on various other website.

Any ideas?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Clear Safari cache/cookies? Remove all Safari plug-ins (that may not work with Tiger)?

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

What he said, but also consider trashing the safari preferences and, of course.......
    Repair Permissions!

4. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Ok..cleared cache, cookies, reset safari, and repaired permissions...still no luck.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Verify that it's still broken/is fixed by logging in as another user and going to the same website. That'll help determine if your problem is relegated to your user, or is system-wide.

6. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I only use one account, but I created another user for test purposes, logged into that account..and the problem is persisting..so it must be a systemwide issue?

7. swheeler macrumors member

Have you tried using the debug menu to set an IE or Mozilla User Agent? Instructions on that are in another thread.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm..

could be a bad plug-in in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

How about posting a couple sites that don't work for you so we can test from our Tiger installs?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Preferably a site that doesn't require us to have an account? I'd try blogger out for you, but my blog is somewhere else....

10. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

This may be the litmus test, but the only sites I can find offhand that are having problems with Safari are Blogger and Gmail, both with the formatting pane. On Gmail for example, when you compose a message, you'll have a layout bar for rich formatting/html options...that doesn't appear in gmail when I'm using Tiger, but does in Firefox and (*shudder*) IE. I wonder if this is a Google problem?

11. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

This may be a problem..My library->internet plugins folder is empty...

is there a standard plugin that should be there? Sounds like I'm making a rookie mistake, but I'm a recent switcher, so have mercy.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not the Library in your home directory.. that would be written as ~/Library (the ~ means your home directory, ~yellow mean yellow's home directory, etc).

I'm talking about the root level Library.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW, I don't think these elements are Java. They might be triggered by javascripts though.

The bar did not show up for me in either FF or Safari using Java 5. But there were also no errors thrown or comments or warnings in the Jscript console though! :(

14. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Hmm that makes me feel slightly better. I'm not getting a message from the java console, either. Maybe Google just needs to get on the Safari bandwagon.