Safari Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DarkNetworks, Jul 30, 2005.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Okay i went to this site, and i tried to open it in Safari and it had this problem,
    Safari cannot find the Internet plug-in
    The page “Hitz Capsules” has content of MIME type “application/x-oleobject”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.

How can i solve this problem?

2. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

mind telling what site? It's hard to just guess without seeing code from the site. Does it work in firefox, does it work in IE5.2?

3. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

A google search brought up this discussion, which seemed to lead to nowhere, but it's 3 in the morning and I didn't read it all.

To me, it sounds like an ActiveX something or other that Safari cannot do.

4. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

The site is dvrplayer.com or hitz.fm both requires login
    It's actually an online player where they stream audio from radio stations...
    It doesn't seem to work with IE5.2 and Firefox, i've tried.
    It works pretty well in Windows, i've no problems so far when i'm using it in Windows.
    I think might need to get a plug-in or something but i'm not sure where to get them.

Doesn't have a solution according to the article i guess.
    :(

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

x/oleobject means that the page relies on an ActiveX control. If it won't work under Mac IE, it's a Windows-only control.

6. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Oh...if that is really the case which i personally think so too. then it's probally true...sad that Macs can't run some websites that Windows can... :(

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's especially puzzling when commercial Web sites do that kind of thing, because Mac users tend to buy stuff.

8. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Ha, I can't disagree with that.

It's also sad that commercial sites don't take advantage of the large amount of multi-system technologies that are out now a days. Things can work on any system, with any browser, is just depends on the knowledge and appreciation to appeal to all possible viewers.

Here's to the forward evolution of a more standards based web experience!

9. afthotstreak719 macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem with my safari. I opened up firefox and then went to the same link and it just gave me a link that took me to where i could download a plugin.