Safari Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stan, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Stan macrumors member

Sep 1, 2003
    For some reason, my Powerbook will not load some web pages. This is most noticable on Apple's trailers page (used as homepage) and Apple QT/Downloads and Support pages. Most other pages load ok, however this problem is not limited to just the Apple site. I am using a TiBook G4 1Ghz with an Airport extreme connection to a D-Link DSL 500 ethernet router, with Pipex as my ISP. Anyone any ideas what could be causing this? It is most annoying...

PS Anyone know a quick way to turn Windows Media Files into something which can be played on a Mac? Tried QT, VLC, iMovie, won't read the file...
  2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    That heppend to me before and i cant tell you what it might be but after a clean install of Mac OSX it worked great. Befor doing a clean install try other things.

Try either VLC or Mplayer they are both good. I always use VLC even to open quick time files its just great for DVD's.

VLC -

Mplayer -
  3. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I think some people are afraid to use a Microsoft product for fear that it will taint their Macs, but WMP is actually pretty decent and it does play those files just fine. Don't get me wrong - I feel a little dirty when using it - but it works well and doesn't break anything else.
  5. Muskie macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2003
    Sorry to get a little OT, but is it just me or do WMV movies look absolutely terrible? They always seems totally pixelated, no matter how big or how small you make the window, and the sound is usually pretty bad. And why won't it let you skip ahead? As soon as you move the cursor forward at all the sound keeps going but the picture just gets stuck.
  6. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

Aug 3, 2004
    I agree. They always look terrible. At least the one's I've seen do.