Safari problems on brand-new PB (help a switcher, please!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by williamsonrg, Feb 16, 2005.

1. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

My girlfriend recently got a new PB, and she has had some troubles with Safari. Every once in a while, Safari refuses to open. She clicks on the icon, a window opens, but before the home page can load, it quits. She clicks again, same thing. Finally, the third time it stays open. This patters is the same virtually every time. She hit the "reset" button in the Safari options, and it worked perfectly fine for about 2 days, then started doing it again. She "Reset" it, and once again, it is working.

Any ideas what's causing that? The only programs she was added are Yahoo Messenger (and it was doing this even without that) and Office.

Thanks in advance for your help. Macrumors folks are always so helpful...

2. nate macrumors member

Try firefox, it seems to be a good program. I've been using it for a while and it seems to work great.

I started to use it because some sites I went to didn't work correctly on Safari, but it did on Firefox.

I still use Safari sometimes, because it's good, too. Firefox, however, is comparable to Safari, so I like it, too.

So, give that a try and see if it works out better for you.

--nate :)

3. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

I suggested the same thing to her, because we both used Firefox on our PC's, but she likes Safari (she uses it at work), so I thought I'd try and see if anybody knows what's up. She had some difficulty installing Firefox too (I wasn't around to see what that was though).

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

under the safari menu, select reset, or maybe delete the prefs...

safari sometimes slows to a crawl for me when I have a dozen tabs open.. other then that its perfect, and nicer looking then any alternative, especially if you take the metal off it.

5. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Like I said above, resetting it works, but also deletes all her stored passwords and stuff, so I was hoping somebody might know exactly which of the "Reset" functions is fixing the problem...

I told her to just use Firefox, but like you, she is a fan of Safari.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I agree with ditching the prefs and run repair permissions as well.

7. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

sorry its almost one, and i was skimming..

8. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

No need to apologize, just clarifying myself. Since this is the first Mac either of us has owned, I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Resetting it works, but I just can't figure out why it gets so bad again after about 36 hours...

9. deanbo macrumors regular

Fixing Safari

I had problems with Safari on my G5 when I first got it. Eventually I solved the problem by taking the machine back to a technician.

But... before thinking you are covered by warrany for this problem, AppleCare (AppleCrap?) only covers parts and labour. Yep, you guessed it, software isn't a part or labour.

But... because my G5 purchase was only recent, I didn't get charged. If I recall correctly the technician said he ran a system update and everything has been plain sailing ever since.

I also have some other suggestions:

1. Clean install of the OS.
    2. Run DiskWarrior.
    3. Run any relevant system updates (like aforementioned)

If you go to a technician, and they charge you, kick up a stink. Seriously, especially if purchase was recent. (Why should you pay to fix Apple's browser, especially considering it should work fine for the life of the warranty!)

10. deanbo macrumors regular

Fixing Safari

I had problems with Safari on my G5 when I first got it. Eventually I solved the problem by taking the machine back to a technician.

But... before thinking you are covered by warrany for this problem, AppleCare (AppleCrap?) only covers parts and labour. Yep, you guessed it, software isn't a part or labour.

But... because my G5 purchase was only recent, I didn't get charged. If I recall correctly the technician said he ran a system update and everything has been plain sailing ever since.

I also have some other suggestions:

1. Clean install of the OS.
    2. Run DiskWarrior.
    3. Run any relevant system updates (like aforementioned)

If you go to a technician, and they charge you, kick up a stink. Seriously, especially if purchase was recent. (Why should you pay to fix Apple's browser, especially considering it should be working fine in the first place!)

11. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tips. I think she's gonna take it into a technician this weekend (only a week after buying it, so they'd better not give her any trouble). She's up-to-date on all the updates I think, so we'll see.

12. mim macrumors 6502

Can you tell us what the home-page is? Does it happen if you set the home page to a known Safari friendly site (like MacRumors!).

Safari has had quite a few updates over the past six months - make sure that you've run software update (you'll find it under the Apple menu!)

Also, I usually format the hard drive and do a clean install whenever I get a new machine...factory installs are notorious for having errors/etc.

As someone else said - try repairing permissions too. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities and click the pretty buttons. May take some time.

13. bubbamac macrumors 6502

I've had problems with a couple of sites with Safari - I think it might be Java related, but I can't be sure. Could be Flash, too. My PB slows down to a crawl if there's lots of Java or Flash on a site.

Ditto Firefox.

14. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

The homepage is set to my.yahoo.com, so I wouldn't think that it's a very difficult site for Safari to work with. I'll tell her to change the site and to repair permissions, see if that helps.

15. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Preferences

Did you reset the preferences?

(
    >stop safari
    >go to home dir user
    >go to dir library
    >go to dir preferences
    >find the files with the string 'safari' in it.
    >remove these files.
    >start safari
    )

16. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Is this the same thing that Safari does when you hit the "reset" button?

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Two others mentioned it and I didn't see a response, but have you repaired permissions yet?

18. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I'm fishing here, but if you open console in the Utilities folder, you may see some messages explaining WHY Safari quit. If you post those messages here, mebbe some of the experts may give you a definitive fix.

19. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Not yet. She reset Safari, and it's been working since, so we're gonna wait until it starts acting up to try repairing permissions, to see if that works. Should we just run it now? She just got this Mac, and I go to school in a different time zone, so if it's complex, she won't want to mess with it.

20. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

I told her that next time it quits, to copy/paste the detailed error message it produces to send with Error Reporting.