Safari problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ndmccormack, Oct 25, 2005.

1. ndmccormack macrumors member

anyone having trouble with safari??

I'm using 10.4.2, with safari 2.0.1 (build 412.5) but I can't see some web pages and its really annoying me.

for example, thinksecret.com just comes up with the normal footer of their page - nothing else - and appleinsider.com has some serious layout problems due to the buy tiger at amazon ad being displayed incorrectly.

anyone else having these problems... and is there a way to uninstall safari and start again?

cheers
    Niall

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Given your description, I suspect two separate issues are to blame. The Think Secret footer-only page suggests a network timeout problem - is your internet connection OK? Does it do this with other sites? If not, I'd suspect a problem on their end.

The layout issues could be due to a rendering bug in the browser, misbehaving plugins, or "hacks", I would think. Misbehaving plugins can be investigated by temporarily removing all plugins from the global plugins folder (in (hard disk)/Library/Internet Plug-Ins), but not deleting them, and trying again. If it works normally now, plugins are to blame.

3. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member

cheers,
    I'll try that out.

My internet connection is fine, but the problem has been happening for a couple of weeks now. I suspect its somethign to do with my javascript as certain popups and features that should work don't...

note of interest tho.. firefox displays the thinksecret site incorrectly too...

do they share common files in anyway?

4. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

5. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member

no, removing the plugins then logging out made no difference.

I tried to install the java update released last month. It installed ok, but the progress bar didn't seem to work properly wich leads me to believe that it probably hasn't written over any of the original files...

guess maybe I just have to wait for 10.4.3 and hope that fixes it!

any other ideas people?

6. ndmccormack thread starter macrumors member