Safari Public Beta 2 Out Now...

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by jMc, Apr 14, 2003.

1. jMc
    macrumors 6502

jMc

2. macrumors regular

Thanks. I think you were actually the first.

It's v73. Pretty impressive too.
    It's got tabs & autofill, seems to be faster.

3. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

4. jMc
    thread starter macrumors 6502

jMc

Yeah, unfortunately I'm stuck on my work PC till tonight - otherwise I would have posted more...

jx

5. macrumors 6502a

I thought for sure I was going to be first... "I was 'that' close"

Safari: Speedy, Stable and Compatible... who could ask for anything more? (hmmm with Mac users, maybe I shouldn't ask that...) :D

Dave

6. macrumors 604

iJon

does this new version fix macrumors so we can see the side stuff for the active threads.

iJon

7. macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Yep, its fixed now. That was a annoying bug in v71.

8. macrumors 6502

sphereboy

TABS!!! TABS!!! TABS!!! TABS!!! it's what i've been waiting for! ... oh my oh my :D

9. macrumors regular

v73 seems heaps faster than v60.

Though all my favicons have gone, so now i have to visit every bookmark to reload em! Oh well, small price to pay.

10. macrumors regular

eyyyyyeeesssssss!!!!! :)

The best thing is that text is actually READABLE NOW!!!! :D No more blur-o-vision!

Ummm.. although... is anyone noticing all the vBulletin "reply" etc buttons aligning a bit weirdly?

11. macrumors 65816

You beat me.

Damn, I thought I was unique.

I'm going now, and I may not come back.

I need to learn how to use tabbed browsing, I don't think I ever used it.

I also need to learn how to NOT press return after every sentence.

12. macrumors 6502a

robotrenegade

13. macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

Oh Yeah! Delete IE. I can now get into a secure site that previously I needed to drop back to IE to get in.

14. macrumors newbie

Go to Preferences - Tabs. Then, Enable Tabbed Browsing. I too found it curious that it wasn't on by default.

15. macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Not too sure what tabbed browsing is, but it seems to be in demand. I will check it out. <Ding> Downloand is finished.

16. macrumors 6502

Ehhhh... it's alriiiiiight... but the latest nightly build of Camino is tons better. It may not have autofill yet, which is a downer, but Safari can't touch it in terms of speed (loading pages nor in the interface in general).

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/camino/nightly/latest/

grab it and compare, you may be surprised...

17. macrumors 65816

Download

Hell, I didn't use it before but now I need it!

Also, in terms of downloads, if you cancel a download, it doesn't delete it but instead leaves what it has downloaded.

18. macrumors newbie

It is still much slower than camino for me!:(
    I hope they put some speed into it in the final release. It's nice to have it updated through software update!:)

Joe

19. macrumors 65816

You'll make it through...

20. macrumors regular

I'm stuck at work on a pc as well, jeez I can't wait? Anyone see any large differences between 71 and this 73 yet?

Thanks for the info about the downloading wardofsky, that was really annoying me on a dialup. . .

21. rog
    macrumors 6502

Better, but..

Still lacking compared to Mozilla. It's quite a bit slower than Mozilla for me. For instance, loading the macsurfer.com page, Mozilla instantly start displaying while Safari starts to load a bit, then displays. It's an annoying delay and it does this for every site.

autofill does not work such that you can double click in a field and it will fill it in as in Mozilla.

Why can't you click in the URL field and see a list of recent URLs you typed in? I do that ALL the time.

I just don't like the bookmark system. I want to see my bookmarks in a frame and still see my browser window. I hate how Safari makes the browser window disappear when looking at bookmarks.

The scroll wheel performance is horrible and non-adjustable. It works fine in other apps for me, but is glacial in Safari. (MS intellimouse explorer and MS driver).

Also, Java doesn't work as well. Tried going to one of my favorite speed test sites, but the test window doesn't show, while it works fine in Mozilla.

Much better than before, but still not as good as Mozilla and presents no reason for me to switch.

22. macrumors regular

cycle through tabs?

First off, kudos to Apple for finally releasing Safari Beta 2. Tabbed browsing makes all the difference. It's especially cool how you can combine keyboard commands to either open links in tabs or windows in the background or foreground. I do have one question though.

Has anybody figured out the keyboard command for cycling through the tabs? You can cmd+~ to cycle through open windows, but I want to cycle through the tabs without having to use my mous to go and click on a tab itself. Anybody know how to do that?

23. macrumors regular

deepkid

bookmarks erased

Perhaps this is unique to my installation, but all of my bookmarks are gone after installing beta 2. It looks like my bookmarks.plist file was overwritten or is located in a place where beta 2 can not find it. Will have to tackle it later tonight.

Just a heads up.

24. macrumors regular

I feel that safari is much faster, and it seems to be render much better in this release. I'll have to use it more to see I how I truely feel about it, but it seem to came a long way from the 2-12 release (only get public beta releases).

25. macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

Re: cycle through tabs?

Check out the window menu - it's Cmd-Shift Left/Right arrow key :)