Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
It's working great for me. No noticeable bugs so far. Also the speed is great. As fast or faster then Camino. That is saying something. Great to have tabs and autofill. Now that I have autofill I may never use Camino again that was my main gripe about Camino.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
Anyone having problems with the SOFTWARE UPDATE feature?...It doesn't even show the safari update...WTF!

Who's getting it through Software Update? I thought you had to go grab it from here.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Stuck here on the peecees while my iBook sits idly by with no network connection... :( :(

I did notice the Stop button problem in 67 and can't wait for a fix. Being on dial up, I have to use that button a lot.

I'll also try Camino. I don't know what kept me from it before. Maybe it was my inability to tear myself away from Safari's beauty... :D

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Who's getting it through Software Update? I thought you had to go grab it from here.

I got mine through software update... also I had deleted iMovie 3.X from my mac because it didn't work to well on my outdated 350 g4 (Yikes!) and that showed up in the software update too.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN

I got it through Software Update. Did it not show up in yours, Rower? Did you download any of the leaked Beta's? Maybe Apple set it so Software Update only works with the Apple releases and not the leaked Beta's.

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel

Well, I take that back..I read it thru here but then I didn't see it on software update feature..

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 698

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
2 issues-

1. i don't like how autofill is 100% linked to the address book. I dont like having my full name labelled in ichat, so put nick names and stuff like that. I wish there was i way to seperate address book info and autofill (maybe there is and i dont know it)

2. my second issue is that i wish i had better grammer skills so my first issues didnt make me sound drunk.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Must be because I put Safari in a sub-folder for Browsers within my Applications folder. SUCP will ususally miss things if you don't have them in the standard location. And, no, I wasn't using a leaked beta.

I'm surprised they're using the SUCP for a beta app, though...

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
It's really easy to do in Camino.

1) Open multiple windows in tabs
2) Go to Bookmarks>Add Page to Bookmarks (Command + D)
3) Name the Bookmark

That's it.

You forgot to say "check the 'bookmark all tabs' option."

Thanks for the tip.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
2 issues-

1. i don't like how autofill is 100% linked to the address book. I dont like having my full name labelled in ichat, so put nick names and stuff like that. I wish there was i way to seperate address book info and autofill (maybe there is and i dont know it)

2. my second issue is that i wish i had better grammer skills so my first issues didnt make me sound drunk.

Just go to the preferences for autofill and deselect the check box for using info from the address book. Then build your own info in the other forms option.

prewwii

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2001
Gulf area Alabama
Re: Better, but..

Originally posted by rog

I just don't like the bookmark system. I want to see my bookmarks in a frame and still see my browser window. I hate how Safari makes the browser window disappear when looking at bookmarks.

I think Safari has taken their eye off the ball when it comes to bookmark usage. Most previous browsers can access any book mark in two or less mouse clicks. The best Safari can do is three and that is if no folders are used to group like sites. Otherwise it's four click to to go from A to B. Do the math. Two verses three or four, which is more efficient?

Original Camino offered another feature that Safari could use, a reminder in the form of a pointer to the last selection within a grouping. Camino called it a sidebar. Great idea. Then one day a nightly build trashed that idea in favor of the page over approach used by Safari. Which adds another click to Camino process too. What is the extra click for? All the operator wants in the ability to select the next saved bookmark.

Apple is famous for making the computer and it's software invisable to the operator who uses the computer to do work. Every step added to a process is more cause to have to think about the computer than the job. The next time you use the Safari bookmark system ask yourself, can the next bookmark be selected with less effort?

I personally would like to see a more efficient bookmark system used in Safari and this BETA software that can still be changed.

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Panther better track apps better, and tabs r kewl! OTOH, TXT MGNG is also EZ n FUN!

Must be because I put Safari in a sub-folder for Browsers within my Applications folder. SUCP will ususally miss things if you don't have them in the standard location.

Yes, that appears to be the problem here too. That's a lame downgrade in Jaguar, as one of the things I used to browbeat my PC using friends about was the fact that the finder knew where things were even when you moved them. So why do I have to keep Adress book in the main Applications folder for some apps to notice that it's there/not install a new one, etc...?

Anyway, as far as the tabs go I will give a conditional

SWEET!

but I believe the tabs bar should be a little less tall (picky, picky!). Also the "open in tabs) feature should work for the subfolders within your bookmark bar menus (one of the very coolest featurse of Safari, in my opinion). Opening a whole group of pages at once, even if it is a little slow, is pretty cool. This is a feature that can be very useful on a corporate intranet...

(He prepares to use another example from his time at CIGNA, as if he's proud of it....)

For example, at CIGNA they store all the information you could want about processing claims in web pages on their secure intranet. IF -- and when I left there this was still a big IF -- they could get bookmarking these pages to work the day after you bookmarked them, you could open a whole group of your most commonly used reference pages in one click, ensuring that you have them handy on hand and that you have the very latest up-to-date information -- as opposed to having the file stored on your hard disk, as I often did from the sheer frustration of having to find the info on the frighteningly-slow intranet, which was against the rules, cuz it could be out of date.

And as you know you can open PDF files in your browser, so, from my personal experience at CIGNA, this would reduce about seven windows to one.

The only thing they need now is piles of tabs! YES!

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by BubbaTAC
Its allright, I had been using it exclusively before, but this update brought me neither of things I needed and broke something I had before.

I used to use the mouse wheel as my modifier for cocoa gestures, and I can't anymore because they use the mouse click to open a new tab, thats fine but I wish I could set that and have the 4th or 5th button do that so I could use my middle mouse button for what I want.

My Cocoa Gestures till work. I love CG. They are so cool. If you have no idea what i am talking about, check it out here:
http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18404

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by tagy
i seem to be having slight problems with this update, it seems to messing up the text size occasionally. i can go to a website it is fine i go there again and sometimes the text is massive and i cannot make it smaller...

have to quit and restart safari. anyone else have this?

I too am having this problem, more than half the time. I'm eager to shed IE and this is the only roadblock. I also experienced this with the last beta as well.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I think I'm the only one here to notice this, but this version (coming from the previous public beta) actually hides the cursor when scrolling through a page...

Now to see if the 'check spelling as you type' thing stays selected...

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Yum....Safari

Yum!

I must admit the new beta is great! In the 5 minutes since I've downloaded it though .. I've noticed something that still keep me from trashing Mozilla .. It still doesn't accept personal certificates for my school!

I do hope the SSL code is a little more robust .. I've had problems using Safari with some secure websites .. well, we'll just have to see. I'd give a big thumbs up to Apple for a good job though! And I like the brushed metal tabs .. it would look weird if it didn't match the rest of the window!

--Dan

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Originally posted by G4scott
I think I'm the only one here to notice this, but this version (coming from the previous public beta) actually hides the cursor when scrolling through a page...

Oh good, another one of those little intuitive aesthetic details I used to be proud of making a comeback.

Apple would do well to remember that not every feature that they deem obsolete is, as they put it, a ""feature"", but to some is an actual feature. Such as collapsible windows. Or a command to hide all applications except the current one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.