Safari Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by friarbayliff, Aug 24, 2004.

1. friarbayliff macrumors regular

I'm trying to connect to a student site at my university using my powerbook and safari. After entering the secure site and entering my username and password, the browser replies:

405 method not allowed
    the method POST is not allowed for this URL

Any other computers I use, including the campus cluster PCs, work just fine. Can I change a setting in safari that will cause it to connect correctly?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't know of a specific way to change how Safari would interact with this page, but I would suggest that you try another browser first. Some sites just don't play well with Safari, unfortunately, and this may be one of them.

3. friarbayliff thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I don't think it's specific to safari now. I just tried using it with IE and I got the same result. Is there some sort of setting within OSX that creates this problem?

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Okay, we're a little beyond my expertise here, so hopefully someone else will step in, but I hate to leave you hanging. A couple of questions:

1. Most of what I have read indicates that this is a server-side issue, but it may have something to do with what your system is telling the server. Is the login a Java applet? If so, are you running the latest Java update (1.4.2)?

2. What version of OS X are you running?

3. Do you have any friends running Macs that have tried this and been successful?

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

405 errors are due to server configuration. You're probably filling out a form or something like that and get the error when you submit it, right? The server isn't setup to process the form. What you need to do it tell the person who runs the website about it. He made an oopsie.

But you say you've used it on other computers? That shouldn't be. Something may have happened on the server between the time you used the site and the time you couldn't use the site.

If you had very restrictive security settings on your browser you might get a problem like that, but I don't think Safari gets that militant about security.

Safari is friendly and compliant. If it doesn't work in Safari, use Firefox (also friendly and compliant) to double check. If it still doesn't work then bitch and moan to the webmaster. It's almost certainly his fault anyway.

6. friarbayliff thread starter macrumors regular