safari questions (tabbing, google, slow forms)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flat6, Oct 24, 2004.

1. flat6 macrumors regular

First off, I just switched to Macs (Powerbook 15") and I love the thing, it just works, and does so intelligently :)

1) Is there a page-up key on the (Powerbook 15") keyboard?
    2) How can I get the Google search to open up in a new tab?
    3) How can I get Safari not to close a window that has multiple tabs open? I sometimes forget I have tabs and I lose all the different sites I was surfing
    4) How can I see the download speeds when the download manager shows up?

2. armandocerna macrumors regular

1. There is a page down try holding down fn and then pushing the down arrow. I perfer to install sidetrack and use the touchpad for scrolling but that's just me.

2. I'm not sure on this one but if you install launchbar, which is a great program. You can type command-space and then type "goo" then a space then your search term and if you have setup safari to open open links from applications in a new tab then it should work. I might sound like a whole process but it really is very quick a lot quicker then moving your mouse.

3 & 4. I have no idea on these maybe someone else has some insight

3. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

1. FN-up works great, thanks.
    2. I installed QuickSilver, it's an amazing program. I can load up all my commonly used apps in a split second.

4. armandocerna macrumors regular

I always see everyone raving about quicksilver how it's free and everything and better then launchbar. I find launchbar to be a lot faster and it has search template too which is one of my major launcher uses I never even use the address bar. I have found no way to enter in a URL in the launcher or to search google or version tracker

5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

3. shift+command+W
    It has this feature listed under the file menu

6. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

3) I'm a shortcut freak so use Cmd-W when closing Safari individual windows/tabs. Cmd-Shift-W will close all tabs like you're clicking the 'x' in the top left corner.

4) In the Downloads window just Option-click on the file downloading and it will switch from how much left to download to kb/sec. Also if you have a link you want to download you can drag it to the Downloads window OR, even better, you can Cmd-C copy it, bring the Downloads window to the forefront then Cmd-V paste it and it will start downloading.

\m/

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

In Safari->Prefrences you can click on the tab tab (funny how that came out...) and enable the check boxes there. Command click to open a new tab. Just make sure that you don't have it auto switch to it...pain to watch a page load, IMO. I open a few dozen tabs up, and then start to look through them because by the time the last tab is starting to load the first tab is done loading.

I believe that you can command+click on the search button on Google's main page but I'm not so sure about from the Safari menu bar.

8. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Type your query into the Google search box, then type command-return.

9. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

perfect, thanks

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

In Safari (and some other programs) you can just hit the spacebar to perform Page Down (and shift-spacebar for Page Up). Very handy, I even forget myself in other programs and had inserted numerous spaces in different text files... ;)

11. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

cmd+up for page up, cmd+down for page down.